An interesting thermocouple/filtering phenomenon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you want to get the gist of my post without reading all of the detail, just read the bold text.

In the interest of fast response time, I ordered grounded thermocouples for my electric brew rig. However, I failed to realize that grounded thermocouples are even more susceptible to noise than the non-grounded variety. I really should have done another 5 minutes worth of homework before ordering some rather expensive sensor packages. As a result,

I get very jittery output with occasional extreme spikes.

After doing most of the soldering/wiring on my new Arduino shield,

I decided to run the thermocouple outputs through a software filter adapted from the one on this webpage.

It works very well. The sensor output jitter is now reduced to about 0.5°. The filter uses 12 samples at a rate of 2 Hz, effectively resulting in a 6 second response time. But that's not the interesting part.

*** Filtering the output actually resulted in a bit of unanticipated calibration in both accuracy and precision. ***

Of the two thermocouples that I have connected,

one of them always seemed to read a degree or two low, and the other was always a few degrees high.

The smoothed output now shows the sensors steady within 1° of one another at +/- 1° of the actual process temperature.

I'm quite amazed at this simple brute force filtering technique!

Here is some empirical data: http://twitter.com/kampferstrahl.

The sensors are within a few feet of one another and have been registering ambient temperature in the brew hut for days. All of the readings before 30 minutes ago (25 Jan 10, 10:15 PM, CST) were before I applied any filtering.

I also did a little testing with some icewater, and the results were similar. I don't feel particularly inclined to graph the results, as the observed output is quite adequate.

Latest posts

Back