Another SOUR cider thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelcutter

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been a lurker for a looong time and hate to make my first post a question ( I have done several searches but havn't come up with an answer). So if you'll bear with me here goes:
Recipe....6 gallons of treetop dumped on the yeastcake from a previous batch of a rather robust cider. Yeast used is Nottingham. Been in primary since late March early April. Been going to rack it for months but one thing or another came up and its still sitting on the yeast. I thieved a sample today and the aroma was very lightly appley/winey while the flavor was very tart with a tannic astringent finish. Not really pleasant. Would really like to save it and am thinking of racking it off onto 4 or 5 cans of concentrate and a stick or two of cinnamon for a month or two and seeing what develops. Any thoughts?:eek:

I'm not really shooting for a sweet cider, just want to boost the apple flavor and balance out the astringency. I made an apple blueberry/pomegranite cider that would curly your toes when first bottled...but after a year in the bottle its nirvana:mug:

I had a very tart multiberry drink that I put some vanilla in. With the vanilla and some aging the tart mellowed.

Vanilla sounds VERY interesting....Bean or extract? I did rack it to secondary on top of 4 cans of concentrate....But I'm thinking I've got 6 gallons of vinegar:mad:...We'll see in a couple of months.

hopefully getting it racked off of the lees is gonna help the taste. surely adding a few cans of apple juice concentrate can't hurt it.

Latest posts

Back