Budweiser gets sued by Dept. of Justice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure how I feel about this really, on the one hand I don't see where DOJ has jurisdiction over a private company expanding and inhibiting it since it would be considered a non-crucial industry unlike a communications company.

On the other hand I see their acquisition of GM as being a bit monopolistic in nature, but options do still exist and the buyer will set the market in the end.

In a statement, Constellation Brands expressed disappointment with the Justice Department's decision.

"The proposed transaction would further establish Crown Imports as a more independent and competitive entity and solidify is position as a major player in the U.S. beer industry," Constellation said, in a press release.

I question if we really need any more "Major Players" in the U.S. Beer Industry.

That article is terrible, just figured out why DOJ is involved...distribution monopoly which I agree needs an injunction of some form. I don't see why they don't buy GM minus the distribution side and make it it's own company to be sold to third party if one exists.

Back