1.5" 16 gauge square tubing strong enough for single tier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twang

Reaction score
I can get 24' lengths of 1.5" 16 gauge square tubing for $15 a stick maybe even cut to specified lengths. Will this be strong enough?

Yes, that's what me and many others on here used for our brewstands. It'll be more than adequate. Good find on the price. I paid $24 for each 24' even after the discount.

That's actually what my brother told me to use. 16g is approx 0.063" wall thickness. He's a mill wright, machinist and electrician for an industrial pipe beveling company. When I asked him if he could get me some 0.063 or 0.085 2"x2" at a good price, he asked what for... I sent him a picture of a Brutus 10 set up and other than his first response "are you building a space ship or something to brew beer with?" he told me 2"x2" is OVERKILL! So I asked him if he thought 1.5"x1.5" could hold 3 kegs with 15 gallons of water without a worry as that would truely be the most weight on the stand and he told me without a doubt!

So with such a long explanation... that's what I'll be using!

That's actually what my brother told me to use. 16g is approx 0.063" wall thickness. He's a mill wright, machinist and electrician for an industrial pipe beveling company. When I asked him if he could get me some 0.063 or 0.085 2"x2" at a good price, he asked what for... I sent him a picture of a Brutus 10 set up and other than his first response "are you building a space ship or something to brew beer with?" he told me 2"x2" is OVERKILL! So I asked him if he thought 1.5"x1.5" could hold 3 kegs with 15 gallons of water without a worry as that would truely be the most weight on the stand and he told me without a doubt!

So with such a long explanation... that's what I'll be using!

That's funny, because I actually do build spaceships!

:)

I'd like to debate your Bro about CG as well then, because it ain't all about being the cheapest, nor the lightest my friend... Several hundred (potential) pounds of boiling water on top of a 3' tall 70 pound frame is not nearly as stable as several hundred (potential) pounds of boiling water on top of a 140 pound frame (with the same exact footprint in mind have you)... There is rhyme to my reason... Most who keep throwing out the "OVERKILL" simply cain't see past the cost...

I implore you to do as you wish though, as it is your system! :) And I want you to succeed!

2" X 2" is much more than the plain gorgeous aesthetic's and clean 2" lines. It also allows you more room to run internal wiring (minimalist look)... Mount hardware and pumps directly onto the .125" frame, and indeed raises your CG of the frame to a much more acceptable level. So simply, it is not just a matter of cheap and sufficient, it is a matter of looks as well as center of gravity... (And the fact that I could get this stuff for pennies on the dollar because we were ordering it by the THOUSANDS of feet!)

Yea, pumps are overkill... I use to simply hang my sparge bucket from the eve of my ricked house! :) :)

No joke...

Back