Starting up the brew rig on its maiden voyage!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainebrew

Reaction score
So SAT is brew day and the christening of the Brighton Hill Brew Rig, I am doing a blonde and having a buddy over for a demo and knock back a few. Now Pol I don't know if you are out there but, I did my dry run last night with great results. It was -10 last night but the garage was a toasty 50 (gas fired modine heater) and the rims system kept the mlt at 153-154 varying only a degree. 2 seperate thermometers to ensure stability. Now I have gathered all the goodies and want to make sure of my temps? My initial strike water will be higher due to cooler grain and mlt not warmed up. so I am planning around a 175 degree strike, the mlt is now insulated so that helped tremendously. Now my initial mash will be at 154 for 60 min stirring ocassioinally, after 60 min I will take my first runnings and measure for proper amount. then I will run my hlt and slowly pump in the 2cnd runnings water till it rides above the grain bed and recirc for approx 15 min. and continue till I hit mt boil volume. Is this correct. Or can I try to do a second runnings for the remainder of the boil volume. This will be a 5 gallon batch. I will be doing 2 of them, now I know I can do a 10 gal batch but would rather toss 1 5 gal if I have to instead of 10gal. Let me know what you think

:rockin:

Don't know exactly what you're asking but some brewing software will help you with your sparge amounts and all that, usually they're pretty spot on.

I'm running my rig for the first time on Sat too. Good luck for the both of us!

Posting Results! Yesterday was a successful day, a few minor glitches but they were greenhorn mistakes. The rig ran flawless, I need a few things extra though. Like a timer, when you and your buddies start tapping into the home brew and no one is watching the clock, well you know. Anyway I did 2 batches instead of one, 5.5 gal each. The first took about 3-1/2 hrs and the second about 3 hrs including cleanup. I could of done a 12 gal batch but wanted to learn the system first. Now the hard part waiting to sip the AG beer, My first, on equipment I built, with the help and knowledge of the fellow HBT crew.

Thanks again,

Here are some pics

Congratulations on your successful run! Now you'll be making so many brews you'll run out of all those kegs!

Tiiiighht! Looks nice, glad to hear it worked well for you

Back