Tripel Aging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAbrewing

Reaction score
Hi All,
I brewed a Westmalle tripel and I have been aging it from 1 1/2 - 2 months on bourbon soaked oak cubes. I also added 6oz of bourbon when I racked it to the secondary for aging.

I tasted it last night and it has great bourbon flavor. I was thinking of racking it off the oak cubes and into a secondary carboy for continued aging. Will the beer still age if I rack it off the second yeast / sediment cake at the bottom?

Thanks in advanced for the input.
Cheers,

I usually bottle after a month or so then just let it age in the bottle, if you are happy with the oak and bourbon profile I would rack to a new vessel or bottle/keg.

It will absolutely continue to age; there is PLENTY of yeast in suspension.

Bulk aging via secondary is often purported to be faster than aging in bottles.

I've bulk aged for four months, others have gone much further. Incidentally, I bottled just fine after that with no additional yeast needed.

It will absolutely continue to age; there is PLENTY of yeast in suspension.

Bulk aging via secondary is often purported to be faster than aging in bottles.

I've bulk aged for four months, others have gone much further. Incidentally, I bottled just fine after that with no additional yeast needed.

What was the OG/FG on your beer? I've had poor experiences with >60 day bulk aging on high ABV beers (>7%) and have always added additional yeast at bottling to facilitate the bottle conditioning.

Back