Hops are mature with no aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForerunnerBrewer

Reaction score
Just when I thought I had it all figured out, my second year Cascade hops are putting out non aromatic cones. I had a first harvest months ago. I picked them because the lupulin looked "school bus/yield sign yellow" like the guy from Gorst Valley hops said on basic brewing radio. I ignored the fact that there was barely any smell thinking it might come out when they dry and it would be better than over aged hops. Big mistake! Now I have some new ones that came in and they have been on the bine for about 2 months... Which is over the 5 weeks to maturation I have read about but they still doesn't have much fragrance.

Has anyone had this happen, that the hops are not aromatic? My first year harvest was plenty aromatic!

Thanks for your feedback!

I haven't, when I cut my bines down to harvest they have a nice hoppy aroma just standing next to them.

Cascades aren't the most aromatic hops out there. If I smell my centennial or CTZ before I grab a cascade cone, they don't hardly smell at all. Crush the cone between your fingers real good and roll it back and forth and then smell it. If there is plenty of lupulin, they should be good cones.

Back