IS there anything I can do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfreak

Reaction score
Ok, my batch is in my second carboy, and it's not 5 full gallons. Its around 4.25-4.5 gallons. Will the beer be extra strong cause of this? Or will it be fine?

I'd say let it be, especially if it's already in secondary. It will probably be a bit stronger, but hey, it's still beer.

Very helpful words Tenchiro. I have been feeling very itimidated with all the reading I have been doing...every book makes me feel like I'm out of my league. I couldn't wait to start brewing then, I read I wasn't a scientist and felt ashamed. Thanks for your encouraging words.

Just read the part that said it is in the secondary. It is common for new brewers to be very careful and siphon less from the primary than they have to. They want to be sure none of the trub gets into the secondary. You are totally fine. If you were at 5 gallons in the primary, then you are exactly where you are supposed to be. You will always lose a little beer when you rack from primary to secondary and from secondary to bottling bucket. This is how it clears.

On a side note......there is absolutely NOTHING to be afraid of when it comes to brewing. It is one of the easiest and most fun hobbies to get into. Post anything you need in order to feel more secure. But let me assure you.....it is not infected and it will carbinate more later and it will only taste better with time. When you ask questions that can be answered by those answers.....refer above! :mug: and welcome to HBT!

mooseface said:
Very helpful words Tenchiro. I have been feeling very itimidated with all the reading I have been doing...every book makes me feel like I'm out of my league. I couldn't wait to start brewing then, I read I wasn't a scientist and felt ashamed. Thanks for your encouraging words.

No problem, it can be a very detail oriented and exacting hobby when you get into it but it doesn't have to be. If you didn't add too much of this or you added the other thing too late or too early or whatever you are always going to come out with something drinkable and probably pretty enjoyable.

As long as you are clean and don't murder your yeast it will be beer or cider or whatever. There will always be more batches to perfect your brew.

orfy said:
Your hydrometer will tell you exactly how strong it is.
It depends on how much you left in the fermenter.

I'm guessing there wasn't an OG reading and with out knowing what all went into the primary & where the volume loss came from...well, either way it's gonna be beer :D

OP: one of the nice things about starting off with taking readings, noting volume & comparing to the recipe is that you know when you have (if you have) gone off course and what to look for in the future. I wouldn't worry too much about this batch and it will prb turn out plenty drinkable.

Beer is very forgiving. Advice from Kayos is spot on. You will often see this: RDWHAHB. It stands for "Relax don't worry have a home brew." It is the most significant quote to brewing. Follow those words and you will do just fine.

Like a fine wine or cheese, beer too gets better with time.

- WW

Back