How do you partial mash canned pumpkin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENS

Reaction score
I've never partial mashed, but I want to make a pumpkin ale this weekend. I've been searching, but can't seem to find a good description on how to do it. I am not sure if I have the gear. I have two kettles, one 3 gallons and he other 5 gallons. No spigots. I usuall use my 5 gallon for the boil. I do not have a mash tun.

thanks!

I've never done it before, but by my knowledge I would just add it towards the end of the boil last 10 minutes so you don't cook away all the goodness, and also good for worry of sanitation. Although 5 minutes might even be better with less worry if it comes from a can. But make sure there are no preservatives in it. I wonder if anyones ever tried dryhopping with actual carved pumpkin slices and how that would come out?

I've never partial mashed, but I want to make a pumpkin ale this weekend. I've been searching, but can't seem to find a good description on how to do it. I am not sure if I have the gear. I have two kettles, one 3 gallons and he other 5 gallons. No spigots. I usuall use my 5 gallon for the boil. I do not have a mash tun.

thanks!

What's the recipe? I am gearing up to brew a Pumpkin Porter. Check this out for an idea as to what you may want to do:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/anyone-brewed-punkin-porter-recipe-extreme-brewing-183676/

That looks like a good recipe from caphector, I'll probably use that as a reference in the fall when I do one!

That looks like a good recipe from caphector, I'll probably use that as a reference in the fall when I do one!

Do you think you'll follow the schedule laid out in Extreme Brewing by starting with boiling the pumpkin? Not ure if I'll go that route or not. I'm going to try to get some organic canned pumpkin and I'm not sure if I want to boil it in the beginning or add it at the end, or maybe just rack on top of it in secondary...

I would think with a whole pumpkin, not canned it would probably be better with that method. Not entirely sure never done a pumpkin ale before... But a step process would probably be good too. Use half a pumpkin with the method as stated from caphector, then a can towards the end of the boil, and then dryhop with the rest of the pumpkin in the secondary.

Hmm...I don't think any of these guys have actually used pumpkin before. You want to MASH/steep the pumpkin. Throw it right in with your grains for the full mashing period or steeping period if you end up going extract. Treat it just like the grains in your recipe, whether you end up doing PM or extract. You are not going to get the pumpkin flavor from putting it in the boil or secondary. Also, you don't need to pre-boil or pre-cook the pumpkin at all if you are using canned. You would only pre-cook it if you used fresh pumpkin and cut out cubes of pumpkin meat.

That said, if you are doing your first partial mash, I wouldn't do a pumpkin ale. Stick with something simple until you have the process down, then do the pumpkin.

If you are intent on doing the pumpkin, just do it as an extract kit. Pumpkin goes in the steeping bag with the specialty grains.

Hope that helps!

Hmm...I don't think any of these guys have actually used pumpkin before. You want to MASH/steep the pumpkin. Throw it right in with your grains for the full mashing period or steeping period if you end up going extract. Treat it just like the grains in your recipe, whether you end up doing PM or extract. You are not going to get the pumpkin flavor from putting it in the boil or secondary.

I disagree.

Pumpkin has a pretty delicate flavor to begin with. I have found that mashing diminishes that flavor, since it increases its fermentability.

I have had great results roasting pie pumpkins (which produces lots of flavor and reduces the "vegetable" character) and adding them late in the boil and again in secondary. You do get a more hazy/starchy beer that way, but it tastes more like pumpkin, too.

But as with all things beer, there are lots of different ways to produce a great product. What works for me may not work for everyone.

How can you be so bold as to say a late boil addition or flameout of puree, with some cubed whole pumpkin in the secondary wouldn't add any flavors? Has it been tried? I would think that multiple additions at different times would bring different characteristics and releases of flavors. I understand the principle behind mashing with the grains, but what about also doing other additions of it aswell?

Probably soften the pumpkin cubes up first before adding it to the secondary.

I'm brewing my partial mash pumpkin ale tomorrow. I'm using canned pumpkin and per what i've read on here, I'm going to spread it on a cooking sheet and bake it at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour to caramelize it. Then I will be adding the pumpkin to the mash using a BIAB method.

If you search pumpkin ale on here there are several recipes that all describe the procedure that they used so you can kind of borrow some of their procedure even if you are not using their recipe.

I HAVE used pumpkin before, on several beers. And I add it in the last 10 minutes of the boil. After roasting the canned pumpkin in a 350 degree oven to carmalize it.

I HAVE used pumpkin before, on several beers. And I add it in the last 10 minutes of the boil. After roasting the canned pumpkin in a 350 degree oven to carmalize it.

Do you notice a more pumpkin flavor with that method versus a 60 minute boil? I was going to do an extract pumpkin ale by Yuri Rage that prescribed boiling the pumpkin for 60 minutes.

I've had great success adding canned pumpkin straight to my mash. Sure, it won't give you all of the "pumpkin flavor" that you can get, but drinking a pumpkin ale is more about the pie spices than the actual pumpkin. Have you ever had raw pumpkin to begin with? I have no idea what it tastes like to be honest.

Here is a link to a pumpkin ale I did last September. I just cracked one of my few remaining I have the other day and it is amazing!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/pumpkin-spiced-ale-196937/

I have attached a picture from the other day (note the 2009 OBF pint glass) heading down to Portland tonight for the 2011 festival.

I can post the recipe if interested (also included in that thread).

pumpkin.jpg

For the pumpkin porter I made last year I cooked the pumpkin for 5 minutes @ 170*f with a tsp of Amalyse, then let it cool during the boil, adding it for the last 5 minutes. It worked out really well, and I'll be doing something similar to the pumpkin porter I brew this year.

recipe

Brewmutt's Pumpkin Breath Ale
February 16, 2010

Classification: Pumpkin

Description

This recipe is near and dear to my heart! The reason is, because my first brewing partner 20 years ago a yellow lab named Tye, (who has now passed but is with us in spirit every time a Brewmutt recipe is brewed) got into the pumpkin I baked for my recipe and ate half of it before I caught him, hence the name Brewmutt Pumpkin Breath Ale!
Ingredients

7 lbs Light Malt Extract
1 lb Crystal Malt 60L
1/2 lb Dextrin Malt (carapils)
1/4 lb Chocolate
1 1/2 oz Kent Golding hops 7 -9 HBU (bittering) (1hour)
1/2 oz Kent Golding hops finishing (last 3 mins.)
White Labs 013 London Ale liquid Yeast or 1 package Safale S04 dry English yeast

4 Cinnamon Sticks
3 whole nutmegs (or 1/2 teaspoon crushed)
6 whole allspice

1 large “neck” pumpkin (or 2 cans pumpkin pie filling)
Instructions

Peel pumpkin and cut into cubes one or two inch squares. Put in baking pan with about 1 inch of water and sprinkle 1 package of pumpkin pie spice on top. Cover with a lid or aluminum foil and bake at about 350 deg. or until pumpkin is soft. (approx. 1 1/2 - 2 hours) Set aside while starting brew water.

Put water in brew pot and turn heat on. Place the grains, crystal, dextrin, and chocolate in muslin bag and put in brew pot. Heat water just until it starts to slightly boil and remove grains. Stir in the 7 lbs light malt extract and bring back to a boil. Add 1 1/2 oz Kent Golding Hops, the 3 spices and the pumpkin. My method for prepping the pumpkin is to place the pumpkin in a muslin bag with the spices. I place the pumpkin bag in a pan and mash it with my hands or large spoon. Place the pumpkin bag and the juices in the brew pot. Boil for 1 hour along with the bittering hops. Add the finishing hops as usual the last 3 minutes. Remove Pumpkin bag and cool as usual and pitch yeast.

Note: There is no need to boil with a larger volume of water than you normally use but will need a large enough pot for all the pumpkin.

Hmm...I don't think any of these guys have actually used pumpkin before. You want to MASH/steep the pumpkin. Throw it right in with your grains for the full mashing period or steeping period if you end up going extract. Treat it just like the grains in your recipe, whether you end up doing PM or extract. You are not going to get the pumpkin flavor from putting it in the boil or secondary. Also, you don't need to pre-boil or pre-cook the pumpkin at all if you are using canned. You would only pre-cook it if you used fresh pumpkin and cut out cubes of pumpkin meat.

That said, if you are doing your first partial mash, I wouldn't do a pumpkin ale. Stick with something simple until you have the process down, then do the pumpkin.

If you are intent on doing the pumpkin, just do it as an extract kit. Pumpkin goes in the steeping bag with the specialty grains.

Hope that helps!

thanks, so if I am understanding right.. I am doing an extract ale. I should put the pumpkin in a grain bag and steep it with the specialty grains?

Revvy, do you ever use canned pumpkin? I have read several of your posts on pumpkin beer and you are a pumpkin beer Connoisseur so your opinion is especially valuable to me. Do you put the pumpkin in a grain bag after roasting?

ENS said:
thanks, so if I am understanding right.. I am doing an extract ale. I should put the pumpkin in a grain bag and steep it with the specialty grains?

Yes, but you can get a different pumpkin flavor by adding it to the boil. For extract or partial mash the easiest thing to do with the pumpkin is put it in a paint sttainer bag and soak (i.e. mash) it at 155-158 degrees for an hour then add thatvto your boil

Great recipe as well. What is the "pumpkin pie spice" you sprinkled on the pumpkin? Not a bad idea.

Revvy, do you ever use canned pumpkin? I have read several of your posts on pumpkin beer and you are a pumpkin beer Connoisseur so your opinion is especially valuable to me. Do you put the pumpkin in a grain bag after roasting?

I believe the quote says "canned pumpkin"... ;)

recipe

Brewmutt's Pumpkin Breath Ale
February 16, 2010

Classification: Pumpkin

Description

This recipe is near and dear to my heart! The reason is, because my first brewing partner 20 years ago a yellow lab named Tye, (who has now passed but is with us in spirit every time a Brewmutt recipe is brewed) got into the pumpkin I baked for my recipe and ate half of it before I caught him, hence the name Brewmutt Pumpkin Breath Ale!
Ingredients

7 lbs Light Malt Extract
1 lb Crystal Malt 60L
1/2 lb Dextrin Malt (carapils)
1/4 lb Chocolate
1 1/2 oz Kent Golding hops 7 -9 HBU (bittering) (1hour)
1/2 oz Kent Golding hops finishing (last 3 mins.)
White Labs 013 London Ale liquid Yeast or 1 package Safale S04 dry English yeast

4 Cinnamon Sticks
3 whole nutmegs (or 1/2 teaspoon crushed)
6 whole allspice

1 large “neck” pumpkin (or 2 cans pumpkin pie filling)
Instructions

Peel pumpkin and cut into cubes one or two inch squares. Put in baking pan with about 1 inch of water and sprinkle 1 package of pumpkin pie spice on top. Cover with a lid or aluminum foil and bake at about 350 deg. or until pumpkin is soft. (approx. 1 1/2 - 2 hours) Set aside while starting brew water.

Put water in brew pot and turn heat on. Place the grains, crystal, dextrin, and chocolate in muslin bag and put in brew pot. Heat water just until it starts to slightly boil and remove grains. Stir in the 7 lbs light malt extract and bring back to a boil. Add 1 1/2 oz Kent Golding Hops, the 3 spices and the pumpkin. My method for prepping the pumpkin is to place the pumpkin in a muslin bag with the spices. I place the pumpkin bag in a pan and mash it with my hands or large spoon. Place the pumpkin bag and the juices in the brew pot. Boil for 1 hour along with the bittering hops. Add the finishing hops as usual the last 3 minutes. Remove Pumpkin bag and cool as usual and pitch yeast.

Note: There is no need to boil with a larger volume of water than you normally use but will need a large enough pot for all the pumpkin.

Thanks for sharing. That's cool! :mug:

I brewed my first pumpkin ale about a month ago. It was a partial mash recipe and I didn't mash the pumpkin. I added 3 cans of pumpkin during the boil. Hopefully it turns out good. Guess I'll find out in October... Maybe I should brew another one and do everything the same except add the pumkin to the mash and see if i can notice a difference.

You could give this method a try...
Brewing in a pumpkin
Don't really agree with everything he did, but the novelty made me laugh

Excellent! I was joking, but I should have known that there is nothing that has not been done and posted on the internet. I bet the pumpkin mash tun holds temps well. I am tempted to do this just for Ss and Gs at my Oktoberfest party.

Thanks, Is it ok to put the pumpkin in a muslin bag? Does it stay in the bag?

Due to the varied opinions on when to use pumpkin, I developed a recipe that employs multiple additions. With roughly 3 1/2 15 oz cans, I did the following:

2 cans in the mash, 1 can at 60 mins of boil, and 1/2 a can (you could just use a full can) at 25 mins of boil.

Also, having used Libby's a lot in the past for pies, and being forced to buy the more expensive organic brand for my brew (they were out of Libby's), I will say this: the organic canned pumpkin seems much thicker/less watery/more concentrated.

My recipe plus brewing notes and pictures can be found in the database:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/moon-hill-pumpkin-ale-260064/

:mug:

EDIT:
"Thanks, Is it ok to put the pumpkin in a muslin bag? Does it stay in the bag?"

I didn't bother with a muslin bag. Instead I filtered my chilled wort through a grain bag when I poured it into my bucket. Also, a lot of the first pumpkin addition was inside the partial mash grain bag (I did BIAB). Since the grain bag filtered out a lot of pumpkin, I'd imagine some of it would remain in the muslin bag, but probably not all. Worse comes to worse, you can always do a secondary to clarify and get off the pumpkin trub.

Back