Fermenting too fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddy1998

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm trying my hand at this for the first time. I've set up 2 one gallon jugs with Indian Summer apple juice. In one I used ale yeast and in the other I used lager yeast. 70F. Within 2 and 1/2 hours both were going gangbusters! Had to swab out foam from the lager yeast jug because it was climbing the airlock. This continued for three or four days then slowed considerably on day five. Today is day seven and there is no discernible activity (yes, I sat there watching them for an hour - zip.)

Is something wrong here? Should I rack it and see if anything happens or just let it be for awhile?

She's gonna be fine. Certain yeasts (or juice/yeast combos) will produce krausen. When that happens and it fouls up the airlock, I wouldn't disturb anything inside, but instead replace the airlock with a blowoff tube going into some liquid (such as starsan or vodka). I would let it be for at least another week before doing anything. Everything you described sounds completely normal. And the temp is good. I have found that my basement is a great place for fermenting...nice and cool.

if you use that combination again, maybe store it in a cooler environement (basement?) and/or install the blow-off tubing instead of the airlock when you pitch the yeast. The more contact your brew has with air, the higher the chance of contamination

lager yeast is designed to ferment at 50-54, usually, depending on the breed. the higher you ferment with it, the faster the ferment, and the more off-flavors you get. it might taste sulfurous, or some other similar flavor, being a lager yeast fermenting at 70

Back