HELP I'm stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cool Hand

Reaction score
My brew has been in the primary for about two weeks now and for the past 5 days I have gotten the same gravity reading, 1.020, which is above the accepted 1.012-1.014 range. Can I save this brew? Should I re pitch new yeast? If so, 1/2 of the 6 gram package or all of it? Any other info on my problem can be found here:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=19463 Thanks, CH

What was the starting gravity? Im assuming this was a kit could possibly just be your final gravity is a lil high that fg is just a guide. Ive had several that have varied in gravities. Was your starting gravity high? Just my 2 cents.

Did you ever move your carboy to a warmer location? Yeasties work slow and can even fall asleep if they're not warm enough.

Trinitone is right. Move to a warmer location. With dry teast the temp should be between 70 and 75 degrees F on an ale. Also a lot has to do with the original gravity. If that fails, repitch with a different yeast. Some can go bad and you would only be repeating the problem with the same pouch of yeast.

I'm just lookin for some advice here, this being my first brew and all. Two weeks in the primary with no change in the reading for the last week. On to the secondary or throw some new yeast in there?

I agree with trinitone. the secondary will help, but it may be that the beer never gets down to the listed range. mine never used to get below 1.020 but they all tasted allright in the end.

I'm in the same situation. OG was 1.056 and the reading now (over the past week) is 1.021 after repitching with a yeast energizer. Fermentation just stopped, but the beer tastes really good, just a bit sweeter than I'd like. I am bottling it tomorrow. I learned this time around about how important aeration is and won't make the same mistake again. Good luck on yours!

Dan

Willsellout said:
I'm in the same situation. OG was 1.056 and the reading now (over the past week) is 1.021 after repitching with a yeast energizer. Fermentation just stopped, but the beer tastes really good, just a bit sweeter than I'd like. I am bottling it tomorrow. I learned this time around about how important aeration is and won't make the same mistake again. Good luck on yours!

Dan

Thinking back on everything, I'm pretty sure lack of aeration was my problem as well. I pretty much just poured it from waist height through a strainer and the gave a stir or two.

Latest posts

Back