horrible morning.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIP

Reaction score
I started sanitizing bottles, it took me way too long.

I sanitized all my bottling equipment, went ok.

I forgot to boil my priming sugar before starting to rack to the bottling bucket. Ok, pause and boil.

I continue to rack, going ok.

I was about to finish racking, when my spigot on the bottling bucket broke.

I was quick, I only lost about a half gallon. My arm was in my beer, called my wife and had her grab the only vessel large enough to let it pour into, my brew kettle. Tried to pour slowly down the side, didn't work. Foamy beer everywhere. So, I did the only thing I could think of. I put it back on the yeast cake with about a cup of priming sugar (all I had) and put it back in the closet. I am hoping the yeast eat up all of the oxygen.

Worst part is, this is the brew I am most proud of. My first recipe. I hope it turns out...

Oh, and the wife is hung over. So helping me with this was torture for her. She prayed to the porcelin god right after.

I think I tightened it too far, and the preasure of the liquid when it was full just made it fail slowly.

Resurrecting this thread. I never let you all know how it turned out.

It ended up being the best beer I have ever made. We used it and another IPA as fuel for our going away party before we moved down to Texas. It was a hit. Too bad I will probably never be able to replicate it.

Resurrecting this thread. I never let you all know how it turned out.

It ended up being the best beer I have ever made. We used it and another IPA as fuel for our going away party before we moved down to Texas. It was a hit. Too bad I will probably never be able to replicate it.

I don't know it seems pretty easy to replicate to me. Just shove your arm in it for a couple of minutes (that's where the best flavor comes from) shake it like crazy till it foams and then add sugar and re-ferment. Seems pretty simple to me. Now hopefully the bacteria on your arm hasn't changed since you moved!;)

I wish I had that kind of bad morning, I woke up the other day to find that my water softener blew a membrane and belched its resin beads into all the plumbing, 6 short hours later the bypass valve on the softener was engaged and all the faucets and shower heads were dismantled and cleaned, water heater was flushed clean, all was right in the world. fast forward 3 days: I find the softener bypass valve had blown apart while I was out of town and flooded my garage and the office. BTW, the office is the only room in my house with carpet.

Back