Critique my Pumpkin Wheat grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Grain Bill:

1.75lbs Pale 2row
1.50lbs White Wheat Malt
1.00lbs Caramel Wheat Malt
0.50lbs Crystal 20L
0.50lbs Gambrinus Honey Malt
0.25lbs CaraPils

0.50lbs Pumpkin Flesh, Roasted, added to mash

3 gallon batch

i'll be using nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon as well. this recipe is a tweaked sunshine wheat clone that i brewed last weekend; i swapped the regular wheat malt for the caramel, and added the honey malt and crystal, and reduced the 2row to adjust the gravity. i'll be pitching onto that yeast cake (Wyeast 1010). that recipe calls for sweet orange peel and coriander, should i keep those, or drop 'em. hops are hallertauer.

thanks for the input

Definitely drop the corriander and orange peel, they'll just take away from the pumpkin flavor and it would be way too much. Hallertauer is a good hop for the recipe. Looks good to me:mug:

A half pound of pumpkin seems a little light...most pumpkin ale recipes -- even those with a subtle pumpkin flavor -- I've seen seem to call for between 0.50-0.75 lbs per gallon of beer.

My smoked maple pumpkin is going to rack to secondary sometime before Monday, hopefully Friday PM.

I left the spices out of mine because you can always add them later. I'll taste mine when I rack it. I think the Hallertauer is a brilliant choice.

My roasted pumpkin glop was delicious, I would have been happy to eat more of it, I'll let you know how it came through primary ASAP.

I was going to respond to you protein rest Q in the other section but abstained. Short version, I would run the mash in a SS pot with a tight fitting lid to keep the water volume down, then xfer the entire mash to your MLT with clean hot water as a foundation. But it is just beeer and it is only 3 gal, so RDWHAH. 10% adjunct sounds reasonable, but I have never used wheat myself.

Bike N Brew said:
A half pound of pumpkin seems a little light...most pumpkin ale recipes -- even those with a subtle pumpkin flavor -- I've seen seem to call for between 0.50-0.75 lbs per gallon of beer.

I based my amount of pumpkin from this BYO article. the second brewer interviewed, from the buffalo bill brewery, stated he uses 30lbs of pumpkin in a 6.5 bbl batch. if you do the math this comes out to .14lbs per gallon of beer: 30lbs pumpkin / (6.5bbl x 31gallons). he states in the article that this comes out to a bit more that .5lb in 5 gallon batch, but the math is .7 lbs. granted, i've never tried this breweries pumpkin ale, but i guessed that .5 lbs of pumpkin in a 3 gallon batch would do well, given that it's a wheat.

i'll do some more reading on the pumpkin recipes and try to get a consensus.

consider the orange and coriander GONE!

SenorWanderer said:
i'll do some more reading on the pumpkin recipes and try to get a consensus.
!

If you find a consensus keep looking, I gave up. I decided to overload the diastatic power of my grains with pumpkin and run an ale yeast hot in primary for lots of fusels. I am seriously itching to rack it now, but I got to move (5) out of glass and bottle it really, then clean the glass and rack (6).

I don't mean to bring back an old thread, but I'm wondering how this beer turned out? I happen to have all of those ingredients on hand, and I'm planning on brewing this today.... If you're still out there I'd be interested in hearing...

thanks

Back