Pitching a Starter in 18 hrs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iXanadu

Reaction score
I boiled up a starter on a Friday night to pitch on Sunday afternoon. Our plans are changing and I would really like to brew today (Saturday) and pitch circa 4:00.

I'm wanting to pitch in a few hours which will put us at the 18-19 hour mark. But, I don't want to ruin 5 gal of belgium wit. I can if need be, add another vial of harvested trub yeast (from previous belgium wit) or pitch the whole exercise and buy some more yeast. Comments?

Details:

Friday 9:00 pm.
Starter 1qt warer 5 oz LME.
Yeast harvested from trub same target brew: White labs belgium yeast. Harvest 1 WL vial full. In fridge 1 week.

Brought water to boil, added LME, boiled 15 min. Cooled to 70 degrees. Put in flash, shook vigorously (generated 2" head of foam). Added vial of room temperature yeast. Shook again for 90 secs ended up with large head of foam.

Friday 11:00 pm noticeable tiny "things" rushing to top. Since the yeast was harvest from previous primary trub some of the trub was bubbling up I'm sure.

Saturday at 12:noon. Foam settled down to about 1/4 inch. Outer band looks creamy color like foam, interior looks darker in color, like the typical krausen I'm accustomed to seeing. Lots of activity. Not rolling bubbles, but lots of stuff moving from the bottom of the flask to the foam line.

Since the starter is almost finished, I think you'll be fine. When you pitch your starter is debated, so we will go with personal preference. I don't think you'll be able to crash and decant, but you should be able pitch the whole thing.

Since the starter is almost finished, I think you'll be fine. When you pitch your starter is debated, so we will go with personal preference. I don't think you'll be able to crash and decant, but you should be able pitch the whole thing.

Thank you for the reply. I did pitch the whole thing and had airlock activity in 3 hours.

Back