Converting an apartment / dorm-sized 2-door fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridebreck

Reaction score
I've spent about 30 minutes searching for various key words, but to no avail, so I figured I would ask. I found a great deal on a larger Magic Chef dorm fridge. In the add, it basically looks like a Sanyo 4912 with a separate freezer compartment above with it's own door.

My preference would be to turn this into a 2-tap kegerator, but I could always use it as a fermentation cabinet if need be. What I'm trying to find out is if anyone has done a kegerator conversion on a similar-style fridge and how they dealt with the freezer compartment. Since this is mini-me version of a full-size over/under fridge, I would like to mount the shanks in the freezer door, but obviously I don't want my lines freezing.

I'll post some pics when I pick it up and get it home, but here's where I'm at thought-wise right now:
  • Solution #1: Disable Freezer Compartment. Upside is that I can likely re-enable the freezer later if I want it back. Downside is (1) potential for lines to warm up and (2) potential damage to overall operation.
  • Solution #2: Cut Opening in Divider Between Fridge and Freezer Compartments. This is assuming that there are no coolant lines in the divider. Upside is (1) greater ease of routing lines to taps, (2) more consistent beer line temp. Downside is permanent damage to the fridge.
I've seen side-by-side coversions where people have cut out portions of the divider between compartments, which is where I got the idea. The catch for me in this case is that I don't know how to check to see if there are lines in the divider.

Thoughts?

Update...I managed to find out the model number. It is a Magic Chef MCBR415S. [URL="http://appliances.pricegrabber.com/refrigerators/Magic-Chef-MCBR415S-Cu-Ft-Refrigerator/m54929434.html[/URL]

I guess the bottom line is that I need to figure out whether there are lines in the divider. If not, then I think I'm just going to fire up the saw and cut an opening to make it one large chamber.

Did you find out if there are lines in the divider? I have the exact model and am trying to figure out how to use it...

I did not. The seller ended up getting rid of the fridge before I was able to check it out, so I ended up buying a different one.

Hey Kevin did you ever go ahead with your conversion? I'm looking into this model as a possible option.

Latest posts

Back