Pumpkin Ale Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandomBeerGuy

Reaction score
Hello fellow homebrewers, I have a question. I know pumpkins are well out of season at this time of year. But I am craving a pumpkin ale. So question is, Is there a huge flavor difference in using the canned pumpkin vs the whole pumpkin. I know I can other veggies to try to copy pumpkin but I want the real thing. Thanks again :mug:

If you really want the real thing, try using butternut squash. That's actually was some breweries use instead of pumpkin anyway.

But, if you still want pumpkin, I use the can pumpkin and think it's just fine.

Im going to use sweet potato next maybe squash, but ive only used canned 100% pumpkin. I have a feeling i would like sweet potato even better than pumkin and people that have used them have liked them more, it seems.
Your volume of pumpkin you use will depend on the taste also,i like to use half in the mash and half in the boil. It kind of sucks to strain, so i end up leaving alot of it in the fermenter which results in beer volume loss, but they turn out pretty good and usually better with continued aging depending on the type of style you use to make it.

If you watch Brew Masters you will see that Dogfish uses canned pumpkin for what its worth. I am going to do a batch with canned pumpkin over the summer so its ready for fall and then I will do another once pumpkins become available. If you use canned pumpkin in your mash just make sure you account for the temperature. My pumpkin ale was my 2nd all grain batch and I couldn't figure out why I missed my mash temp so badly, doh!

Back