BeerSmith Android Brew Buddy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so I narrowed down the problem, It wasnt the variables like I initially thought unfortunately. I think it might have something to do with how you are naming your file. One of the characters might be causing trouble in the loading of the file. If you could email me your BSMX file (with the same name) to [email protected] that would help a lot in fixing it

Morning! It works on my Droid Bionic this morning, meaning I was able to download it! Looking forward to trying it out this weekend.

It is working on my Droid Bionic as well. It does seem that having it locked to landscape mode on a phone makes some of the text fields difficult or impossible to access due to the fewer pixels vertically when in that orientation.

Which text fields are hard to access? If its the tools I know about them being messed up on the phone. My emulator displays it a little different than real device

Did I miss it or does this not work with Dropbox yet? I can't import my recipe file, it says "Path '/Recipes Not Found"

Here's the path on my computer:

G:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Dropbox\Apps\Brew Buddy

You need to make a recipes folder in your dropbox folder,
Dropbox\Apps\Brew Buddy\Recipes

You need to make a recipes folder in your dropbox folder,
Dropbox\Apps\Brew Buddy\Recipes

That worked, but now it's forcing the program to unexpectedly quit when I try to load the recipe from the folder. Using an HTC Incredible using Android 2.3.4. Any suggestions?

Yes some text/dialog boxes on the tools page , example refractometer page , isn't accessible on my bionic either, but it sounds like you already knew about this....

Adeering, I finally got everthing working great, however I did the donation and the adds disappeared. The next day the adds are back. I tried to re-donate, but the app won't let me. Stumped!!
Edit: I had problems getting the path's right and had to reload the app. Thats when the Add's came back.

@Nuggethead-Im currently working on figuring out this problem with the ads and uninstalling and reinstall. Next update will have it fixed and should restore your ad removal, sorry for the inconvenince

@bmickey- yeah there was enough space on the emulator when I tested it, but noticed it came out bad on my phone once I got 2.3 working, new layouts for the tools is in the works, Along with a portrait layout, I think I figured out a way to make the portrait work without having to rewrite everything.

@AnchorBock- make sure you report the error and Ill look at the error code, also if you dont mind email me your recipe file to [email protected] will help debug if I can try and figure out the difference

On another note, I think I figured out how to have it update the file with updated measurements and notes. So with a little more testing and making sure I can get the dropbox to work right I should be able to get that available too.

So finally got the inApp Billing to properly restore transactions after you reinstall. The next update should be good to reinstall that.

Working on the finalizing touches on being able to update recipes, this will pave the way to allow future changes to allow editing of recipes, but right now its just notes and measurements.

Ill work on fixing the phone layouts to make them better. As well as working on portrait layouts

Will it read in files in .bsm format or do I have to upgrade to BeerSmith 2.0? Sorry if I missed that question earlier.

Got the 2.0 version, was able to use the DropBox and then load about 13 of my recipes in to Brew Buddy!

I tested out the timer function, wasn't sure how to shut it off once it was started. I forgot it was actually still running until the 60 minute alarm went off (30 min later) and about scared the crap out of me! lol!!! :)

Yeah, the timers are a little iffy at times. If you exit out with the exit button or using the back button until the exit prompt then the timers should be cancelled. Im working on changing how they work a little. The problem is, I dont want them to turn off when you go to other apps, only if you want them to should they turn off. Though having trouble with the turn off part right now.

At this point notes made in this app will not sync back to BS is that correct? I just don't want to add a bunch of notes and comments to the app and not have them copy back to the master recipes in the program.

I plan on using this today while I am brewing Caribou Slobber!

As of now notes will not sync back to beersmith, the next release will have the ability to update the file you opened, and then you can import that file into beersmith. I havent been able to test the timers during a brew day cause I havent brew yet so let me know how it goes

Ok, a few things I have noticed as I prepared to use this later today.

The timers reset if you even click off of the timers page within the app.
How do I specify that a certain item as been added when I am on the timers page? Do I just remove that item?
The Brew Steps page things that I am doing a Mash even though I am doing an Extract. The time it has for Mash is way to long to be steeping specialty grains in an extract recipe.

I will put up more information as I figure things out later today.

EDIT: When a timer alert comes up in the Notification Bar clicking on it does not open Brew Buddy. This can be confusing when the standard Android interaction is not happening. When I manually go into the app and click on the Timers page the timer is still running.

If you click on the item you can delete it from the list

Good to know for the extract, ill look into what needs to change for that.

Timers are getting completely reworked in next release so should work better

Ok, thanks for the quick responses Adeering!

Is there an easy place you would like ongoing feedback as far as bugs and things are concerned? I can just keep posting more here each time I find things, but I didn't know if you want this thread cluttered too much with that sort of things. Could start a project over at sourceforge or something... somewhere that they have bug tracking and other dev. tracking features?

Just a thought...thanks!

Here is fine for feedback currently, ill probably make something for feedback eventually

As for deleting currently you are unable through the app, ill add that in for next release

Pardon the noob question, but where can I get this? I'm on at&t and cant find in the app marketplace.

For those of you having trouble opening certain recipes, I figured out the problem. It has to do with HTML special entities. The tool im using to read the files doesnt like them so I have to handle them manually. Didnt put them all in cause it was tedious and time consuming. Looking for a better way to handle them now, but will be updated to handle all of them in the next release which should solve the problem.

That worked, but now it's forcing the program to unexpectedly quit when I try to load the recipe from the folder. Using an HTC Incredible using Android 2.3.4. Any suggestions?

I'm having the same issue as AnchorBock. I can't load a recipe either locally or via Dropbox. It force closes when I try to open a recipe. I'm using a HP Touchpad running Cyanogen mod 9 (Ice Cream Sandwich).

I can send you the bsmx file if it'll help. It's from Beersmith 2.0

Update: It's definitely specific to this Bavarian Hefeweizen recipe. If I load a Centennial Blonde recipe, it works just fine. Hmm...odd quirk. The app looks great though! I'll just have to use paper for this hefeweizen recipe for now.

Update2: Okay, figured it out. If I change the Bavarian Hefeweizen recipe from a "Weizen/Weissbier" style to an "American Pale Ale" style, it will load in Brew Buddy. Perhaps the "/" in the style causes Brew Buddy to force close? In any case, this is a nice workaround for me. I'll be using it today after all!

Update2: Okay, figured it out. If I change the Bavarian Hefeweizen recipe from a "Weizen/Weissbier" style to an "American Pale Ale" style, it will load in Brew Buddy. Perhaps the "/" in the style causes Brew Buddy to force close? In any case, this is a nice workaround for me. I'll be using it today after all!

See above post, I figured out the problem, next release will have it fixed

I don't think it has to do with the '/' in the style since my issue recipe is a Baltic Porter...

See my above post: it has to do with special characters, mainly in the sytle profile/ingredients/exampless

The characters such as the "o" in the Nogne o porter in the Baltic Porter style examples

Im working on making all the stuff compatible from now on. Next release it will be fixed

See my above post: it has to do with special characters, mainly in the sytle profile/ingredients/exampless

The characters such as the "o" in the Nogne o porter in the Baltic Porter style examples

Im working on making all the stuff compatible from now on. Next release it will be fixed

A simple 'o' in the style did that?? Wow... Seems a bit lame to me, but if that's what did it... wow...

Update Released v2.1:
Didnt like having parts not working so released it a little early without everything i wanted to have available but got some stuff in there:
-Updated the recipe handling so now it shouldnt crash with the recipes with special characters anymore, let me know if it does
-Brew Steps now has a note section at bottom along with Update Button- Update button updates file on dropbox or local folder, you can then import it to beersmith to see updated file.
-Fixed the tool layouts on the phone version, can see everything now
-Fixed a couple other little bugs that were happening
-Fixed a couple small layout problems
-Ad removal donation updates if you uninstall and reinstall you keep your purchase, if you already donated and it doesnt remove with update first try closing and reopening, then try uninstalling then reinstall, if that doesnt work post here and Ill try and figure it out but should work just fine.

Enjoy and continue to post bugs/suggestions as you use the app.

I tried to update some of the items in the brew steps flr a recipe. If you don't hit the update button before going to another section, it crashes. If you change the values, update, go to another section and theb go back, the numbers are f'd up. Like changing 8 gallons to 1024...

@Golddiggie-Ill look at the crash report and see whats causing that, I dont get that error or crash on my devices. As for the numbers, make sure you are entering them in the same units as displayed next to the edit box, this can be changed in settings to your desired units

Edit- Actually good catch on the edit numbers, was converting them when recording, but wasnt when displaying, will be updated here momentarily as I also updated a couple other things. Still not sure why you are crashing when going to a different view, make sure you report the error for me

By the way, I greatly appreciate all the comments and help debugging, probably should have released beta to some testers before putting on market, oh well just means lots of updates at first to fix all the mistakes I missed.

I might have to stop being lazy and upgrade my phone which is still running Froyo.. Good to see development on a nice looking full featured app since Brewzor Pro seems to have been abandoned which while needed work was the best I'd seen thus far.

Latest posts

Back