Lot of particles/residue in my wort/Post boiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micmacman

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been doing 3 all grain batch so far with no issues. The three batches were stout and were delicious.

I did my fourth batch this sunday ( yesterday ) and it was my first blonde ale. I did my mash as usual ( Im batch sparging ) , and did 5-6 vorlauf with a 4quarts vessel. After the last vorlauf , there was still alot of particles comming out of the tube. I decided to go anyway and drained into my 15 gallon pot. My kettle is equiped with a Bazooka screen. I boiled my wort , cooled it , and drained it into my fermenter. (PS the wort when through the Bazooka screen + i use a sanitized strainer to eliminate most of hop residue and particles into my fermenter as i usually do. Before adding the yeast i took an hydrometer reading. There was alot of particles flotting in my wort. Maybe it's been the same thing with my last batch but since they were dark i couldnt see through. This tike the wort was clear and could see through that's why i saw alot of thing. Is this normal wil it settle and be fine or my mashtun is it ? Broken?

Thanks

David.

Are you familiar with cold break material? Could it be that? I wouldn't worry overmuch as most things that you see in wort will settle out when the ferment it done.

Likely just pieces of grain and whatnot... perhaps it was crushed a little more than the last batch.

I would bet a lot has to do with the type of beer as well. Before i filters my Ale's I noticed a decent amount of grain that got through the false bottom and filter.

I believe what you are seeing is the proteins clumps. You normally get that when you boil it, it's called the "hot break". You may have also gotten this if you added boiling water to bring your mash temp up. It should fall to the bottom during fermentation and it is more noticeable with clearer beers. you might want to add some Irish Moss to the boil next time.

Thank everyonr for you comment

Hi bobc, i used a whirlfloc tablet 15 min before the end of the boil. I assume it should have done the same thing that irishmoss would have?

Thank

David

BobC said:
I believe what you are seeing is the proteins clumps. You normally get that when you boil it, it's called the "hot break". You may have also gotten this if you added boiling water to bring your mash temp up. It should fall to the bottom during fermentation and it is more noticeable with clearer beers. you might want to add some Irish Moss to the boil next time.

Thank everyonr for you comment

Hi bobc, i used a whirlfloc tablet 15 min before the end of the boil. I assume it should have done the same thing that irishmoss would have?

Thank
David

Back