Hello from Chicago 'burbs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coredumpster

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Santa finally delivered me a 2 bucket starter kit for me this year. After saying I wanted to get into this for a while, I now have no excuses.

Starter kit is your basic 2 bucket system, with the basic accessories ( hydrometer, thermometer, tubing, spigots, stopper, airlock ). I also picked up ( and read cover to cover ) Palmer's "How to Brew". Have Papizan's books coming as well.

Discovered that I've got a Brew and Grow store about a mile from my house, so that's quite convenient.

I'm lucky to have a very supportive and understanding SWMBO, who let's me make messes in the kitchen as long as I clean them up ( and let her drink the beer I'm making ) :rockin:

I've got my first brew about 4 days into primary, and I'm discovering how hard it is to wait! I used a slightly altered all-extract partial boil APA recipe.

So far I've experienced a couple firsts:

- First boilover.
- First scorched LME.
- First panic over lack of signs of fermentation. ( until I read the don't panic thread, and stopped. )
- First airlock bubbleover. ( cleaned and replaced, now happily bubbling away )

Eagerly anticipating sampling my first homebrew, and already plotting my next recipe and deciding what equipment I need to acquire next!

Glad to become a part of the community here, look forward to learning a LOT, and hopefully in time able to give something back.

-Chris

Welcome! It's easy to get bitten with the brewing bug. Especially with all the awesome breweries we have around us.

What up Coredumpster! I've been to Crystal Lake Health Food Store a few times...they do have a pretty decent selection for a small little shop!

Back