Newcomer Question About Old Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linda

Reaction score
Hi, I quit brewing beer back in the early 90s. I just didn't have the time. Now I am thinking about getting back into it again. I'll be looking at mead and GF beers. This forum looks like a good place to start for both.

Anyway, I have a mead question.

Background:
A few years back my brother gave me a couple bottles of mead that are now about 15 years old. My DH opened one of the bottles today and the mead has a slight fruity aroma but it tastes like water and alcohol; no other flavors present. The bottle opened with a little pop (carbonation) so the bottle had a good seal. No brown ring present, but I don't think that happens with mead. I have kept the bottles in a cool dark cabinet and both were bottle capped like beer. I researched mead characteristics and I couldn't find an example that came close to this or what might have happened.

Question: Is this what happens to mead when it gets old? Or did something else happen? I always thought it would get better with age!

Thanks!
Linda

Good question...I know oxidized wine sure has a fruityness to it...then again who's to know what it tasted like 15 years ago. For entertainment you could buy a pack of titrets and see if there is any sulfites remaining.

Interesting. I did a little checking. I didn't know that some mead recipes supplement naturally occurring sulfites with a little extra. I don't recall ever doing that. Regardless, I don't think it's worth the expense to test it. It's just a shame it's no good.

Back