Melomel/Orange Blossom Mead/Muscat Grape

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you like this Melomel?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

gpawlak2000

Reaction score
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.10 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
2.50 tsp Yeast Energizer (Primary 0.0 min) Misc
12.00 lb Orange Blossom Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 63.16 %
46oz Alexander Muscat Grape concentrate (2.0 SRM) Sugar 31.58 %
1.00 lb Orange Blossom Honey--for back sweetening (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5.26 %
1 Pkgs Dry Mead (Wyeast Labs #4632) Yeast-Wine

Pasteurize 12lb of honey in 4gal of H2O for 30min at 130F. Top off with cold H2O to 5 gal. Cool to 70F--Airate with pure O2 for 1min prior to pitching yeast.

Ferment at 66F.

Back sweeten with 1lb of orange blossom honey at bottling time then filter with 1st polish, then 2ndly with sterile. Also, I compten tablet crushed at bottling. 3tsp acid blend added at bottling. ABV is about 14%--doesn't taste like it so be carefull :tank:

A friend of mine is giving me about 5lbs of Muscadine grapes from his vine. Since I've never made a mead/pyment before I was hoping you could show me how to use them in this recipe.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've used grape juice and concentrate before but not fresh grapes. I would crush according to others instructions, but my guess is to uses something like comden tablets to stop/slow spontaneous fermentation. For juce, I've used about 96fl oz per six gal batch with 12lb of honey. Makes for a dryish payment and takes about 6 months to become very drinkable.

Latest posts

Back