Ewave Chest Freezer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan

Reaction score
I found a 7.2 cu ft chest freezer at Menards for $177, brand was Ewave. I've never heard of it or seen it mentioned on this site. Does anyone know anything about it?

I googled it and find very little. However, it does come up with Magic Chef so I'm guessing it is a rebadged Magic Chef. Dimensions are the exact same, appearance is identical except for the nameplate.

Just curious if anyone has seen/has one of these and can confirm that it is indeed the same as the magic chef. It would be a great deal if so.

Thanks

so I guess no one knows anything about this one...guess I'll be the guinea pig and find out for us all!

They appear to be the same chest freezer with a different brand name
Magic Chef Appliance -- Freezer Page
Both are listed on the Magic Chef website, and the pictures are identical, as well as the PDF product sheet with the exception of the first 2 digits of the item number....
MC for Magic Chef, EW for the EWave

I have the 7.2CF MagicChef and love it. I think there are several people here that also have the same one. They will fit 4 cornies without a colar, and 6 with. I recall someone on HBT once commented "These should come from the factory with the temp controler and colar preinstalled"

I had the same findings as Arkador. It is made by Magic Chef...just rebadged. Kinda like the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix.

I did further research and found that Magic Chef is owned by Whirlpool. They produce good products, and it's a freezer, so there can't be that much wrong with it lol. I'll probably get it and let everyone know how it is. If anything, it's a cheaper version of the Magic Chef.

Hopefully the old saying isn't right with this then, "you get what you pay for".

I have a smaller ewave at home that I *gasp* actually use as a freezer. We bought it two years ago, and I've had no problems with it, and am thinking about getting a bigger one and stealing that one for a keezer.
The one I have looks like it will fit 4 cornies without a collar, as reported. Plenty of room for C02 and some bottles on the ledge, too.

Exactly what I wanted to hear! Although one positive doesn't mean it's perfect...it's good enough for me

I almost bought another at Menard's on my lunchbreak today! I think I'll wait til they go on sale, though. I am thinking of maybe putting a wood top and facade on it and running a tower. Who knows. The wallet and wife dictate what I can and cannot do. :D

Luckily when I went in they did not have one and I got a rain check for the sale price, good deal. I'm still planning it out, but I think I've settled on how I want mine. Think I'm going with 3 cornies and a 10# C02 tank as opposed to 4 cornies and 5# tank. I'd prefer to have a longer lasting C02. I do not want a collar, so that is the reason for limiting myself. I like to sit on my ideas for a while before jumping in...makes me feel more sure of myself haha.

I prefer the "coffin" design to the tower, don't know if you consider this the same? I was thinking 3 perlick faucets. It will be in my living room (one bedroom apartment) so I will need it to look as much like furniture as possible. I will be doing like you said, the wooden top with facade.

Though I say I do not want a collar I am still floating the idea, only for the reason of not having to permanantly damage my freezer. When/if I decide to get a house I'd want a larger freezer and it would be nice if I can just return this one to normal freezer duty (thinking ahead). If I did build a collar I would drill a hole in the back of the collar to allow lines running to the coffin. It will be on carpet and having faucets on the side would just drip, and in my opinion a side mounted drip tray or floor drip tray looks a little tacky for a living room. I could just put it in the kitchen and not worry, but who wants to walk 10 feet to the way to the kitchen when there is ample space right next to the couch!

Looks like I'm switching gears on this...I found a 5.2 Danby on cragslist last night for $50! I couldn't pass on that deal so the Ewave won't happen. Wasn't going to purchase the freezer so soon, but a deal is a deal, just couldn't miss it!

Back