BMC Rocks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyobow

Reaction score
Or so it would seem , been asking the only liquor store in town to get some porters ( for three years now). The answer I get is " It's up to the distriutor and they don't think we have room". Well they always have room for the new BMC stuff. I'd go out of town but thats 100 miles. This town sucks!

sounds like we are from similar towns, except I have to drive 600km to get anywhere. actually there is a quebec town about 30km from here and there grocery store gets some pretty tasty beers. only one porter though.

I could not imagine living like that. I have at least 10 full breweries within 75 miles of me. And I don't even know how many more brew pubs. :D

We have some Corona leftover that someone brought here a while back for a party.

I have been slowly going through them. Today, I used one to make dirty rice.

I live in what I call a big, small town, meaning we have a half-million people within the city limits and it feels and acts like a 50K town. It is definitely this way as far as beer selection is concerned. That is 80% of the reason why I started brewing, I can't get good beer or at least I have had it all by now.

:off: Another thing I hate, is now that all these BMC companies are coming out with things like shock top and bud light wheat to "compete with micro/craft beers", the distributors are telling the retailers to put them in the micro/craft sections of the fridges and all that does is take away the space for the good beer :mad: My wife hears this every time we go grocery shopping ;)

"Up to the distributor" means that the big guys are not allowing other beers into the store. Read about the three-tier system and how BMC controls everything from the trucks to the shelving. They actually have people come in and control how their beer is displayed. They make it difficult to even find good beer, and now they are moving in with their craft crap.

I'm hoping more of the bud light drinkers try their "craft" stuff, that way they won't see an increase in sales, just a switch from their regular old drinkers...then the drinkers will want some real craft and abandon them altogether. Ahh, wishful thinking...

I've tried getting the new bar downtown to put something good on tap. They only got two taps and I can let you guess what one of those is. The other recently had Bell's Oberon, and now they are finishing up a Bell's Octoberfest (which wasn't too bad IMO).

I asked the lady behind the bar what was coming up next and she said probably either a) Amber Bock, or b) American Ale.

I'm shaking my head. With so many great regional beers, they can only choose between those?? OTOH, I don't really support them because I can drink so many good beers in the comfort of my own home for much less.

Does anyone else in your town sell beer? A grocery store or convenience store that sells isn't so beholden to the whims of the distributor and may be able to muscle them better than the liquor store can. You could ask one of them about a special order. Or you may find out that the liquor store owner just doesn't want the hassle and is telling you something to not have to deal with it.

As an alternative, you may be able to order some beer through mail depending on your state laws. Something like a porter should hold up fine when shipping. I've never ordered beer online but have bought wine through Woot a few times.

Does anyone else in your town sell beer? A grocery store or convenience store that sells

If I'm not mistaken (unless the law changed) and the OP's location is correct, you can only purchase beer in Liquor stores in Wyoming, grocery/marts are not granted licenses to sell beer/liquor.

As an alternative, you may be able to order some beer through mail depending on your state laws.

Again, the law is limited here for Wyoming. Only wine can be ordered up to certain amounts. Malt beverages are illegal to ship via the interwebs or whatnot.

This makes me happy I live in San Diego. My favorite bar (which is in close proximity to my house) has 15 taps, and none of them are BMC. The Pliney the Elder keg blew right as I was ordering one today :mad:.

For years it was like that here in Carlsbad-the best we could get was Becks or Guinness. But about 6 years ago our biggest grocery store got a new liquor manager and she knew nothing about beer. She started letting us regulars look through her distributor's catalogs and order what we wanted. Now we have a decent selection all the time and she'll special order whatever we want at her cost. If I want a certain beer she'll order a case of it, sell half to me and put the rest on the selves to see if it will sell.

I live in what I call a big, small town, meaning we have a half-million people within the city limits and it feels and acts like a 50K town.

Yikes. In my eyes a 50K "town" is big. The town has to be under 2K for me to consider it "small". BTW the town I live in is unincorporated; we have maybe 300 people living here. :)

HolyNecroPost.jpg

Back