Do You Cook With Your Homebrew???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha! I made an amber cream ale about two months ago and apparently didn't clean out my keg properly...have I still been drinking the beer? YES! Also, it has a nice funky tang to it so I made some beef stew with brisket the other day. Cooked it for about six hours using homemade beef broth, tangy amber cream ale, brisket, carrots, shallots, and mushrooms. Now I find myself throwing the beer into anything so I won't have to drink it...the biggest mistake was using it in couscous...haha.

Definitely I use my English bitter in steak and ale pie. Sometimes I just leave it as a stew as well.

I put brown ale in shepards pie as well.

The rich flavor imparted by the ale give the stew a much fuller taste. Besides it is way more satisfying to know you truly made the meal.

I use beer in marinades as well before meal goes on the smoker

Yes, I use one that didnt turn out very good, it fermented way to hot, but its a great cooking beer.
oh that reminds me, Im almost out of it, time to make another crappy beer, jk

Cheers

noobiebrewer said:
Definitely I use my English bitter in steak and ale pie. Sometimes I just leave it as a stew as well.

I put brown ale in shepards pie as well.

The rich flavor imparted by the ale give the stew a much fuller taste. Besides it is way more satisfying to know you truly made the meal.

I use beer in marinades as well before meal goes on the smoker

I like the shepherds pie idea. That reminds of this meatloaf I ate at a Sierra Nevada beer dinner made with lamb,bison, and their stout. It's was incredible.

I found the Leinenkugel's snowdrift vanilla porter at a local beverage drive through across from the college. I'll have to try & get some more to try with some honey on ham. Great in the pit.

KeyWestBrewing said:
I like the shepherds pie idea. That reminds of this meatloaf I ate at a Sierra Nevada beer dinner made with lamb,bison, and their stout. It's was incredible.

Yeah I did not have any stout so I used the bitter and it was great! You and can use a pretty funky cheese on the potatoes then because the rich flavor of the stew in the shepards pie.

noobiebrewer said:
Yeah I did not have any stout so I used the bitter and it was great! You and can use a pretty funky cheese on the potatoes then because the rich flavor of the stew in the shepards pie.

Now you really have me convinced, I love a nice funky cheese. I can't wait to post back my experiences after making some of these recipes.

KeyWestBrewing said:
Now you really have me convinced, I love a nice funky cheese. I can't wait to post back my experiences after making some of these recipes.

Let me know how it went
Pictures too would be great! Man I love food !!!

I made jerk chicken last night that I braised in a bottle of my Amarillo Pale Ale with a splash of grapefruit juice. Put down a bed of yellow rice, a couple spoonfuls of the chicken and sauce, and a dollop of guacamole, and there's a fantastic dinner. Paired it with a Sam Adams Alpine Spring for the win. It was delicious!

image-1542502153.jpg

TheJasonT said:
I made jerk chicken last night that I braised in a bottle of my Amarillo Pale Ale with a splash of grapefruit juice. Put down a bed of yellow rice, a couple spoonfuls of the chicken and sauce, and a dollop of guacamole, and there's a fantastic dinner. Paired it with a Sam Adams Alpine Spring for the win. It was delicious!

Looks delicious.

I love mussels with my house pale ale. I also regularily make a beef stew with a dubbel. I´ve tried several things with my IPAs but they don´t do well for cooking.

Obliviousbrew said:
I love mussels with my house pale ale. I also regularily make a beef stew with a dubbel. I´ve tried several things with my IPAs but they don´t do well for cooking.

Have you tried making a bread with an IPA? I had some at a SN beer dinner that was awesome. They also made an IPA butter to go with it.

Have you tried making a bread with an IPA? I had some at a SN beer dinner that was awesome. They also made an IPA butter to go with it.

I´ll try that thank you, my bread it´s pretty good (my wife´s it´s better) Interested about the IPA butter... and just gave me the idea of making a porter tapenade.

Obliviousbrew said:
I´ll try that thank you, my bread it´s pretty good (my wife´s it´s better) Interested about the IPA butter... and just gave me the idea of making a porter tapenade.

I have used a lager and pilsner in pizza crust as well try that if you make your own pizza

noobiebrewer said:
I have used a lager and pilsner in pizza crust as well try that if you make your own pizza

I've never done it with my homebrew or any kind of lager. But I do that with the Ghostface Killah chili beer every once in a while and love it.

I haven't cooked with any of my homebrew, but I did make a fondue with a Celebration Ale and some extra sharp cheese. A great match - the IPA brought out even more of a bite to the cheese.

Grantman1 said:
I haven't cooked with any of my homebrew, but I did make a fondue with a Celebration Ale and some extra sharp cheese. A great match - the IPA brought out even more of a bite to the cheese.

That sounds really good.

American Amber Ale to marinate the onions for deep fried rings. Also in the batter for deep fried fish and shrimp.

only if it comes out ****ty- otherwise I drink it- homebrew with some off-flavors makes great steak marinade...

flars said:
American Amber Ale to marinate the onions for deep fried rings. Also in the batter for deep fried fish and shrimp.

Beer battered is nice.... But the way I was taught and love is Key West Pink shrimp steamed in beer. I love shrimp pretty much anyway you can make it, but nothing tops Key West Pinks steamed in beer. My grandparents used to save the extra foam that most bartenders pour out at their restaurant in a bucket and use that to cook shrimp with. Damn, now I'm hungry lol.

Do you have an ingredient list or recipe you could post?

Here you go:
will make 6 - 8 10 inch pizzas or 3 my size pizzas

7 cups of white bread flour

OR

5 cups of bread flour and 2 cups of semolina flour

1 tsp salt
2 pouches of dried yeast (bread)
1 Table spoon of sugar ( I like brown sugar gives it some staying power)
4 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 pints 1 - warm lager or pilsner (Kolsch would be good too) slightly warmer than room temp. and 1 pint chilled this is for sipping during the mixing stage

On a flat surface pile up the flour, salt and sugar.
make a well in the middle.
I like to pour the oil in and the warm pint into the well and using a fork start to stir the walls into the middle taking little bits of the walls at a time when you get a wet slurry add the yeast.
Keep mixing in more and more flour in larger quantities till the dough is quite sticky and the fork will not move well.
Flour you hands and dig in. Use the palms of your hands and push the remainder of the flour in the middle and knead the dough until supple.
If dough is too wet add more flour in very small amounts you will be amazed at how far a small handful will go.
If too dry add a small splash of warm water small amounts at a time.
Keep the area dusted with flour and knead until dough is springy give it a light smack if it sounds like slapping skin and it springs back it good to go now move on.
Place in a large bowl that has been dusted with flour so the dough does not stick.
Here is the kicker place a damp tea towel over the bowl so it does not touch the dough and place in a warm spot. (We have 2 Ovens that are side by side I preheat the big oven and put the dough in the other. Or I used to before we got the big stove turn the oven on to 200 degrees f for like 2 mins and then shut off) place the dough inside the oven as long a it was warm and not hot. I let it rest for a minimum of 1 - 1.5 hrs. During this period you can get all the topping ready.
When it is time to use the dough you have a few options
Option 1 - I like thin crust so I take it out of the oven after it has raised (if you only have one oven preheat it to 425f Grab a large handful and cut it with a sharp knife right off the dough. I knead as little as possible then roll out while rolling and kneading I dust with flour so it does not stick. I roll it out till it is about 3/16 to 1/4 inch thick then add sauce and toppings. Place on a preheated pizza stone and enjoy about 10 - 15 mins later or until golden and bubbling.

option two grab a large chunk of dough and knead it very little roll it out to about a 1/2 thick and place on a well floured cookie sheet place in a warm area to raise for 1/2 hour you can do this with all the dough you are going to use and when raised press down lightly the area that you put your toppings on and make the pizza as usual. then cook as about 10 - 15 minutes or untill golden and bubbling.
Enjoy
I hope this helps I have used all sorts of beer in pizza dough it gives it a nice hoppy flavour I have also found that if you add a few Tablespoons of dried oregano or basil to the crust with the beer it is good too. :mug:

I hope this helps and sorry it is so long winded but I love my pizza.:rockin:

Cheers

I've never cooked with my beer but a friend of mine used homebrew I gave him to do something with ribs... and I'm Kosher and couldn't even eat them. He's sort of an idiot.

PhelanKA7 said:
I've never cooked with my beer but a friend of mine used homebrew I gave him to do something with ribs... and I'm Kosher and couldn't even eat them. He's sort of an idiot.

Lol that's kinda messed up. I'd either tell you it was gonna be used in something non-kosher or made something you could have eaten.

Yesterday I made a brew plate special with a liter of Brown Derby in the main dish, half a liter hefeweizen in the bread and a little stout for the cook.

Rosie Sykes's sausages, ale, apple and sauerkraut recipe

Bread

BrewStew.jpg

It was good but next time I will not use the juniper berries or refrigerate the dough when using a rye sourdough.

If it was being served at a table I wouldn't cut the sausage.

Bernd's always makes good looking bread. The site is a great motivator.

If you make the bread be aware the salt in the ingredients doesn't get added in the preparation. I added it after the autolyse. I need to modify the recipe as my rye sourdough is sluggish.

harrymanback92 said:
9% Saison marinated ribs, then dry rubbed, smoked, then I add my Saison BBQ sauce and throw them on the grill for a couple minutes. Delicious.

Now I want ribs!!! Glad to see people posting pics of all the delicious food.

My wife makes an incredible Polish cheddar cheese, sausage & potato soup with my homebrewed IPA and complements it with beer bread using the same IPA.
Got to love a woman that can cook, and cook well, with homebrew.

jwwbrennan said:
Bernd's always makes good looking bread. The site is a great motivator.

If you make the bread be aware the salt in the ingredients doesn't get added in the preparation. I added it after the autolyse. I need to modify the recipe as my rye sourdough is sluggish.

what flour did you use? he makes a point of mentioning his local, high quality flour..

I like making a thin mop sauce with my Cooper's English bitter. Goes great with rich smoky flavors. But the black lager with rauchmalt I'm brewing now should work even better for the same purpose. I'm going to use some on my b-day the end of next month on a couple chuck roasts with pin oak in the bbq pit. Here's the recipe for the mop sauce;
1 bottle English bitter or rauchbeir
1TBSP worchestershire sauce
1tsp each onion & garlic powder
1/2tsp each red & black pepper
2tsp dried parsley
Mix all together & place in a small non reactive bowl covered in plastic wrap the day before use in the fridge. This allows flavors to mingle through the beer for more even flavor distribution on the meat.
It's great on ribs,beef,ham...even chuck burgers smoked in the pit. Try that when you want a really good burger sometime. Even saving twigs & branches cut up to size works great on top of the hot coals. Use'em dry with the bark on.

Back