I managed to revive a smack pack of dead yeast...should I use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mthelm85

Reaction score
Here's the story in a nutshell:

I recently moved from Washington to Texas and decided to stick with Northern Brewer because I have never had any issues with their products. I assumed my yeast would arrive a little warmer than usual due to the Texas heat but I was completely wrong - the yeast was insanely hot as was the ice pack.

I figured it was probably toast just due to how hot it was to the touch and I was basically right.....broke the inner pouch and didn't get any swelling at all after 14 hours but I decided to pitch it into a 1 liter starter anyways (which is more than double what I need for my brew). The yeast was definitely darker brown than it should have been and it seemed to me that the smell was off as well so I didn't have any hopes for being able to revive it.

Much to my surprise, after 24 hours I have fermentation in my starter so I went ahead and got it on my stir plate but now I am having second thoughts as to whether or not I should just use this starter and brew today or wait and order a fresh smack pack from Austin Homebrew which should get here in 1 - 2 days and still be plenty viable, and brew next weekend instead.

My grain is pre-crushed and I have it in the ziplock bags that it came in, inside of a bigger plastic bag, inside of my chest freezer at a temp of 63 degrees.

What do you guys think? Is it too much of a risk to use this yeast or do you think the new cells that I have are just as good and that I should go ahead and use it?

If your starter smells and tastes fine the yeast should be good.

Starter looked/smelled just fine so I did go ahead and brew it. Also, I hit my numbers exactly so I think this brew is going to turn out great but I'll let you guys know if I experience any adverse effects from the yeast.

How did this turn out?

Turned out fantastic, no issues whatsoever. The beer is fantastic, I just cracked open the first one yesterday and it's already fully carbed and tastes great despite having been brewed just 2 1/2 weeks ago.

As long as you get a starter going and the starter is nice and healthy, you'll be fine.

Just remember yeast actually thrive in heat so there really should be no concern. The only time the heat is not desired is when it is actually fermenting your beer:) In order for the yeast to actually get killed off the temperature would have to be exceptionally high, meaning well into the 100's

Just remember yeast actually thrive in heat so there really should be no concern. The only time the heat is not desired is when it is actually fermenting your beer:) In order for the yeast to actually get killed off the temperature would have to be exceptionally high, meaning well into the 100's

Yeast begin to die around 120 but damage can occur around 110 - that's from Wyeast.

I live in West Texas where it's 100+ on a regular basis. The yeast that I received was definitely around 110 or higher and was mostly dead after having sat in a UPS warehouse over the 4th of July holiday and then on the UPS truck after that.

Yeast begin to die around 120 but damage can occur around 110 - that's from Wyeast.

I live in West Texas where it's 100+ on a regular basis. The yeast that I received was definitely around 110 or higher and was mostly dead after having sat in a UPS warehouse over the 4th of July holiday and then on the UPS truck after that.

Well, even at those temps and duration of time there was enough viable cell for you to successfully get a starter up to pitching rate and get the beer going well, just proves those yeast cells can take a beating and still make beer:)

I was just here. @ UPS through the 4th. WLP299 from AHS took 60 hours, but I finally saw bubbles and it smelled like fresh apricots! Revived!

Latest posts

Back