how long into fermentation till you take your first gravity reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaddyb

Reaction score
I take mine anywhere between 2 to 4 weeks in. Usually 3 or 4 weeks. My last couple batches have been at around 6 weeks.

I actually stopped measuring altogether a long time ago. Got my routine down and hit the estimates every time, so now I save the trouble and just keg after 3 or 4 weeks primary.

When I first started brewing, I took one after 1 week to ensure there wasn't a stuck fermentation, etc, and one before packaging.

Once I got about 10 batches under my belt, I moved to one just prior to packaging. I have a precision hydrometer and it takes about 12-13 oz beer to fill the tube. I was more confident in the process and didn't want to waste a beer!

Cheers

When I first started brewing, I took one after 1 week to ensure there wasn't a stuck fermentation, etc, and one before packaging.

Once I got about 10 batches under my belt, I moved to one just prior to packaging. I have a precision hydrometer and it takes about 12-13 oz beer to fill the tube. I was more confident in the process and didn't want to waste a beer!

Cheers

Yeah that's basically what I'm doing too, just give it a check before I keg it.

Back