Yeast pooped out at 1.028. Pitch new yeast at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know there are a ton of threads concerned with pitching new yeast and the consensus is no. But I haven't seen anyone ask this question. I had a beer go from 1.070 and stopped a week later at 1.028. It is 4 week old dusseldorf alt yeast. Still enough active to carb my bottles?

That is really high for a alt beer, I would try rousing the yeast and warm it up a bit to see if they get going again.

I also want to add if you add new yeast and bottle you may not like the result, overcarbed or worse yet bottle bombs.

That is really high for a alt beer, I would try rousing the yeast and warm it up a bit to see if they get going again.

I also want to add if you add new yeast and bottle you may not like the result, overcarbed or worse yet bottle bombs.

+1. Scarier yet even if you don't add new yeast the existing may decide to wake up with priming sugar / bottling and give you bottle bombs. Happened to my scotch ale a couple years ago and I'm still 'aging' (aka avoiding) the result.

Could try a forced ferment on a small sample to see if it will get down anymore, that would at least tell you if there's more fermentables there (and therefore risk of bombs). Be interested to see there's any good solutions to this..

+1 to warming a bit (a degree or two) and giving the fermenter a little shake for a couple of days. I got my last beer down a couple of points doing that

I've heard Jamil on his podcast actually recommend raising ferm temp as fermentation goes on too.

it was my first all grain and I ended up mashing @ 158. Also I did not do a starter since I was supposed to be pitching into 5 gallons of a 1.052 beer. So I: A) got high efficiency
B) likely got alot of unfermentables from a high mash. C) didnt pitch a starter for a 1.070 o.g
I forced carbonated a 2 liter bottle and it taste great.

Concur with the bottle bomb issue. Rouse the yeast, bring up the temp and apply a serious dose of patience (up to three weeks). You will prolly get where you need to be.

Cheers!

Back