Recipe Tweak - All Galaxy IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
Hey guys. Starting off I'm using a kit. It's the Brewer's Best, American Pale Ale.

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1013_American_Pale_Ale.pdf

BUT, I'm trying to increase the mouth feel and ABV so I'm going to add
Briess DME Golden Light (3 lbs)
Briess DME Pilsen Light (3lbs)

I'm also NOT going to use the Williamette or Chinook hops that came with the kit. I'm instead going to use Galaxy. I have about 8 ounce of Galaxy pellets and about 12 ounces of Citra so, since my last IPA was "all citra" I'd do an all galaxy batch now.

So, my question is hop additions. What should my schedule be for a 60 minute boil all galaxy hops in 1 to 1.5 ounces per addition?

I plan on dry hopping with Galaxy or Citra. I'm gonna call it "Da Grapefruit Bomb"

:ban:

So, I ended up following some guides online and did this.

3lb of DME and 3lb of LME added at start of boil
3.6 Ounces of Galaxy pellets added as well.

40 minutes later, added the rest of the DME and LME (6.3 pounds total)
5 minutes later, added 2 ounces of Galaxy
15 minutes later, killed boil

This was a 5 gallon full-boil batch. gravity reading was insane though but it's because I got too much damn trub in there. I'll take another one tomorrow once things settle. Should be about 8.5% when it's done, 106 IBUs and 15 SRM..something like that. Going to do 2 ounces of Galaxy Dry hop.

just an fyi, all of your #s seem to be off:
your OG should be like 1.106 so you're abv should be closer to 10%, not 8.5%. not sure what you're reading was, but trub wouldnt effect it
extract does darken abit, but i wouldnt expect your SRM to be over 12
unless you had some low AA galaxy, i'm getting over 130 IBUs (not that you'd be able to tell the difference)

really hope you added in another pack of yeast along with your extra DME

Wowza!!! Personally, I'd up the dry hops addition to more than 2 oz, maybe closer to 4 since there was no knockout addition. You'll want to get a ton of aroma from the dry hops to make up for that. I've never used galaxy hops personally, but I know they're tasty. I don't think it'd hurt to throw some Citra into the dry hop, keep in mind that Citra's aroma can be subtle, even for a higher AA hop, so maybe 2/3's Citra to 1/3 Galaxy. Kinda just thinking in type, but I want a lot of hops aroma in my IIPA's, so I always go big on both the knockout and dry hops.... sounds like you have a lot of hops on hand, so go b@lls out!! :rockin:
I also agree, I hope you made a big starter or used a few packs of yeast, that's a beast of an IPA and you'll need those yeasties to work their arses off to get it good and dry. Keep us posted. :mug:

Crap. Another example of me using too much damn extract and making an IPA TOO big. Oh well, let's see what happens..So, since it's so big, should I let it ferment longer than 3 weeks? Now I'm a bit worried.

I'll add more dry hops though to it once things settle down. No starter but 8 hours after putting the yeast back in, the 4 inches of head space in my 6.5 gallon carboy was full of krausen and blow off was happening. It looked like the yeast were plenty happy just dumping the pack in and aerating.

well thats a good sign at least. just make sure to keep your temps under control since the size & being underpitched makes it more susceptible to fusels, and the 3 weeks should be fine. the 2.4oz of galaxy u have remaining is kinda low for a IIPA, but if you want to keep it single hopped it'll do

Crap. Another example of me using too much damn extract and making an IPA TOO big. Oh well, let's see what happens..So, since it's so big, should I let it ferment longer than 3 weeks? Now I'm a bit worried.

I'll add more dry hops though to it once things settle down. No starter but 8 hours after putting the yeast back in, the 4 inches of head space in my 6.5 gallon carboy was full of krausen and blow off was happening. It looked like the yeast were plenty happy just dumping the pack in and aerating.

Yeah, don't sweat it. 3 weeks will be plenty of time. Keep temps under control and let it go, no need to worry about anything. A good krausen after only 8 hours is a good thing, as long as temps aren't high.

My beer cellar has its own AC unit. Constant of 60-62 F makes fermenting beers very easy. I can adjust the temp higher to finish things up.

Big krausen is a great sign. I usually under pitch and no off flavors yet.

Thanks guys!

Oh an I have 6 more ounces of galaxy and 2 pounds of citra. So I'll do a bigger dry hop. Many thanks !!!!

do any tasting of this yet? I'm about to dry hop my own all galaxy IPA - going with four ounces. why not - its whats in the bag!

do any tasting of this yet? I'm about to dry hop my own all galaxy IPA - going with four ounces. why not - its whats in the bag!

Won't be happening for another week. I'm traveling a crap ton this month.

--- I did take a small turkey baster sample of the final product from the carboy before putting it in the fridge. WHOA. It's this fruit tropical hop bomb. It's also a very high ABV like 10% + so has a good solid booziness to it.

Thanks for the update. I did 1.2 oz warrior for bittering, 1.25 oz glacier at 30' and then 2 oz of galaxy in the last 15 of the boil. Wanted to avoid getting too fruity (hence the glacier/warrior).

The 4 oz of galaxy dry hop is smelling really nice in the fermentor. Going to bottle this weekend!

Cool. Others can confirm but I think you need to do more hops as the ABV (fermentable sugars) go up. I'm not 100% sure though but basically, your IBUs go down the more fermentables you add. I think I did a LOT of hops more than ever before but, at 10.5%, it should be as bitter as my 8% I did last time with less hops.

I'm still a n00b though so food for thought.

adamjackson said:
Cool. Others can confirm but I think you need to do more hops as the ABV (fermentable sugars) go up. I'm not 100% sure though but basically, your IBUs go down the more fermentables you add. I think I did a LOT of hops more than ever before but, at 10.5%, it should be as bitter as my 8% I did last time with less hops.

I'm still a n00b though so food for thought.

Yes. For sure. I've had some 10%ers that weren't nearly as hoppy as I hoped.

This current beer is 'just' 1.060 OG

Looking forward to hop glory.

Back