overpitch a priming yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrogNerd

mean old man
Reaction score
I'm bottling a pumpkin barleywine that WLP007 got to 14.6% (1.113 OG to 1.004 FG) which has been bulk aging for 2 months

going to use CBC-1 on it. adding it to the bottling bucket along with priming sugar and racking the beast on top of it.

I was going by the datasheet for CBC-1, which says 10g for 10 hectoliters

10 hectoliters = 26.4 gallons. my batch is around 2.5 gallons, so I suppose I should only use 1 gram

can you overpitch a priming yeast?

Yes, but the results are not disastrous, you will just have excess yeast in the bottom of your bottles once they all floculate out. As long as you don't over do it with the priming sugar there won't be any problems.

I overpitched bottling yeast intentionally as I only had a few days to get a beer carbonated for a party. It carbed perfectly and still looked very clear in the glass at the party. I saved a few bottles for a couple of weeks and opened them later and the carbonation was still exactly the same, but there were a lot of excess yeast swirling in the glass.

Latest posts

Back