Horrible taste!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carter840

Reaction score
Alright so I wait weeks for my first two beers to be ready then spend hundreds of dollars on my taps, and yet my beer tastes like plastic. Bottom line is that I've got a 10 foot length of beer line 3/16" from the LHBS and the beer is definetly picking up strong plastic favors. Everything in the setup is new so I'm not 100% sure it's the line, but everything was very clean and I ran at least a gallon of iodophor through the lines.

If I pour out a half cup the beer taste great. It's seems clear that the issue is beer that has been sitting in the line is picking up plastic taste. Even in 10 minutes the beer in the line tastes undrinkable. Any suggestions?

What's the best beer line to replace this junk I've got and where online can I buy it.

Btw the current line is stamped beverage line and is certainly food rated.

Thanks

farm house has 50 ft of the good lines for 15 bucks plus shipping.

thats cheap.

(Kuritek) Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra, no taint at all. It is available in 3/16. It's a b*tch to get on to the connectors, but it's worth it.

Do you have a source online where I could acquire it? I'm glad this has been discussed and in some way solved. I can't believe that amount of "off" taste I am getting. I'm certainly willing to pay to fix this problem.

(Kuritek) Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra, no taint at all. It is available in 3/16. It's a b*tch to get on to the connectors, but it's worth it.

read to put the end of the line in boiling water for 30 seconds then connect it.

is this true?

Try to soak the lines in hot water with a healthy dose of baking soda for a few hours.

read to put the end of the line in boiling water for 30 seconds then connect it.

is this true?
I only wish it was that easy. It is a real ______ to get the Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra onto a 1/4" connection, and it took many tries of using boiling water, putting the other end in the boiling water, using needle need pliers to try to open it a bit, and so on. While I was able to get one or two to work, I decided to give in as I wanted to create a bunch of lines for my refrigerator and for a new keezer build. I finally gave up and ordered these from Williams brewing: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/316-HOSE-ADAPTER--P2863.aspx. The next problem (after setting those up) was a slow leak on the faucet end (I used two of the 3/16" hose adapters on the bev line) when trying to do soda pressure (e.g. 30 PSI or so). To fix that, I bought these http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=343 (Nylon flare washers).

But, to get back to the original issue, NO SMELLS from the Bev-Seal!

I only wish it was that easy. It is a real ______ to get the Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra onto a 1/4" connection, and it took many tries of using boiling water, putting the other end in the boiling water, using needle need pliers to try to open it a bit, and so on. While I was able to get one or two to work, I decided to give in as I wanted to create a bunch of lines for my refrigerator and for a new keezer build. I finally gave up and ordered these from Williams brewing: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/316-HOSE-ADAPTER--P2863.aspx. The next problem (after setting those up) was a slow leak on the faucet end (I used two of the 3/16" hose adapters on the bev line) when trying to do soda pressure (e.g. 30 PSI or so). To fix that, I bought these http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=343 (Nylon flare washers).

But, to get back to the original issue, NO SMELLS from the Bev-Seal!

I spent 15 bucks for this line. Now I am not using it and ended up buying the white tubing from homedepot. Seems to have good reveiws on this forum.

It was impossible to connect it with every trick in the book for me. I spent to much money on the 1/4 setup to buy new connectors.

I'm really sensitive to the plastic taste, and vinyl lines were ruining my beer. I went with the accuflex bev-seal ultra for all of my lines. Yes it's a pain to get it on 1/4" barbs, but it's nowhere near impossible, and well worth the effort IMO. Use boiling water (on both the tubing and the barbs), good gloves, something to stretch the inside of the tubing, and take your time. It's not as difficult as some are making it out to be.

Back