California Common "Steamin Ale"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynwitte

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
2112 California Lager
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
Amber
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
20days 66 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Im new to brewing and this was my first AG and I decided to make my own recipe. Ok so here it is "California Common"

Yeast: 2112 California Lager

Grains: 8# American 2-Row
2# German Pils
.5# Crystal 60

Hops: 1 oz Perle whole leaf 60 min
.5 oz Perle whole leaf 10 min
.5 oz Perle whole leaf 2 min

Mash In 154 degrees for 60 min droped to 152 collected 3.3 gallons
added 3 gallons 200 degrees held at 167 for 10 min collected 3 gallons

Primary 3 weeks at 66 degrees

Well thats it. i used Perle cause HBS didnt have any NB, bottled yesterday and i gotta say i could have just drank it like that (warm, no carb, and no conditioning) pretty darn good!!! For my first AG i think the lack of extract and the fact that i used whole hops makes a big difference in first tasting. Let me know what you think!!!!! :rockin: I rock!!!

So it has been one week in bottles cracked 3 of these last night....mmmmm they are good probablly not quit ready yet but still tasty. I can see why Anchor steam is in business.

So there all gone i drank most of them myself as this is now one of my favorite beers. Im not changing a thing!!!! Man this was a good beer!!:mug:

Hi, Lynwitte - I am also planning my first beer to be a California Common. I have a question for you... how come you used lager yeast for an ale?

Thanks.

It is a lager brewed at ale temps....Steamin ale. Im not sure exactly what the lager taste is supposed to be just that i brewed at the higher end of the yeast temps and it was good. I would recomend it as it was my first all grain very easy and very tasty

Steam beer uses a hybrid lager/ale yeast that can ferment at the higher end (65-72) so lagering the beer is not needed. California lager has very little Diacetyl

Latest posts

Back