Grapefruit Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadiator

Reaction score
I found a thread or two on this subject, but no one really answered it to completion. Would a grapefruit mead turn out nicely if you went by the standards of a regular JAOM? Would the sweet finish mellow out the tartness of the grapefruit? I would really like to try this, but I'd like some feedback first.

Melomel is just a type of mead so it's okay in that department. Im not sure I would define a grapefruit as "Tart", I find them to be bitter and quite gross.

The answer to your question depends on how many grapefruits/gal you plan on using. I think 1 big one would be okay, but maybe use the zest and fruit meat and leave out as much pith as possible?

So if I were to do something such as:

For 5 gal. batch
-5 large grapefruit (zest and juice only)
-15 lb. honey
-roughly 125 raisins
-5 tbsp. Fleischmann's bread yeast
-water to 5 gallons
-5 cinnamon sticks
- 5 cloves

Would I be okay with this?

I've actually got a batch of this going right now. Following the JAOM recipe I used a handful of raisins, about 4ish lbs of honey, and grapefruit. Used one and half. Just cut em up and tossed em in. It's about at the two month mark now and still bubbling.

Did you just do a gallon batch? I chickened out at last minute on a 5 gal. batch, so I only used one grapefruit, 2 lemons and 2 oranges.also, did you use a high ABV yeast, or straight up bread yeast?

Awesome, I plan to do this after a hard apple cider and a bouchet. Thanks for the advice :)

Back