lager at 21c?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyral210

Reaction score
Hi, I recently got back into drinking lager, and I want to brew some. Now I know you need cool fermentation and cold storage, but I have none if these. What will be the result if I brew a lager at say 21 deg c?

Can anyone recommend a good lager kit?

Also, if lager is not a good idea without the temperature control, what would be a good summer ale kit?

its not the lagering @ 21 thats the problem, its the "not" fermenting @ 5-9'C. it will taste like an ale. and then you can let it sit @ 21 'c for a month but it would just not be the same.

Yep, ale temps with lager yeast gets you a California Common. At that temperature there are quite a few strains of ale yeast that would be happy. A Heffe would be a good brew for summer, or maybe a Blonde or American Pale Ale.

WHOA! Slow down! Let's discuss this a minute...
Whereas a California Common A.K.A. Steam beer is a Lager that is fermented at warmer ( usually just under 20C) primary temps, it would be very wrong to think that you can make one by fermenting any lager yeast at those temps.

You need a lager strain ( like white labs WLP 810) that won't throw a lot of esters at that temp or you'll get a lager that's gonna tast like buttered pumpkins and latex paint.

Latest posts

Back