Copper Hops Tags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GearBeer

Reaction score
I made up some neat, relatively permanent copper tags for my hops using copper sheeting I bought from a local metal supply. The copper cost me $8.40, but the sheet's original purpose was to space the coils of my immersion chiller (this is what I did with the scrap).

I got this idea from pilotdane: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/2009-hop-garden-picture-thread-109536/index27.html#post1326163

I bought a stamp set from HF and stamped the hops names into the copper (I clamped a 2x4 on top to line it up). The letters are 1/4" high and centered on the 3/4" tag. I folded an additional 1/4" around the back to give it a little more strength. To attach the 10 AWG wire, I fluxed the wire and a line on the back of the tag and soldered it with a propane torch.
2009_17_10-01.jpg

2009_17_10-02.jpg

One sign next to my Cascade.
2009_17_10-03.jpg

Nice looking lables. I am sure they will still be readable in a hundred years. Mine have tarnished but they are still easy to read and look great in the garden.

They have just tarnished. There was a slight haze of green in the lower right of this one but much of it wiped off with my finger. I think really good green takes a long time or chemicals.

IMG_3425.jpg

Back