Recipe Critique: Oatmeal Raisin Rum Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrewtherooster

Reaction score
So I have been playing around with this idea for a bit and I would like to see what you guys think. Here's the basic recipe for 5 gallons:

8.5# Briess Pale Ale Malt
1# Quick Oats
1# Toasted Quick Oats
.5# Caramunich II
.5# Special B
.25# Briess Chocolate Malt
.25# Raisins pureed with first runnings, added to the boil
.5 oz. Columbus at 60 min
Denny's Fav 50 Yeast

Mash at 152F for 60min.
Estimated OG: 1.057
IBU: 30

I plan to toast one pound of the Quick Oats in the oven a few days beforehand, drizzled with spiced rum. After primary, I plan to add another 4oz. of raisins pureed with 2oz. of spiced rum to the beer in secondary. Is this too much? I want to err on the low side, but I have never added rum or raisins to a beer, so if you've got any useful advice, fire away. Thanks!

I think the drizzling won't do much for you. If you use raisins, make sure they are free of prservatives, but I think the Special B should provide plenty of raisiny flavors on its own. If you do puree the raisins with some first runnings, you might want to try reducing them in a separate saute pan to get some caramelized flavors.

Subscribed. I would LOVE to hear how this turns out and what your final process was. If it is good, This would be awesome to brew for the Holidays.

I would mash the raisins instead of boiling them to get the flavors. Just an idea though.

I don't get the point of mashing the raisins. They contain essentially no convertible starches, and whatever you mash you will still boil. I should mention that all the sugars in the raisins are 100% fermentable, and that grapeskins are very tannic.

A few simple *points*come to mind here

A) the mash will act as filter keeping out the particulate (skins) from the puree
B) you are steeping them in the mash to extract the sugars and terpenes for flavor.

But to each his own... goodluck!!

Back