Purchasing mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on where you live. If it is available it more than likely will be at a store with a good selection of craft beers, rather than a BMC type store.

But in Michigan, since we have a nationally ranked meadery B Nektar here in the Detroit area, finding thier products and other meads is pretty easy. I have one bottle shop that has several brands available.

If you can't find mead, decent wine shops may have Ethiopian Tej (honey wine) which is similar to mead. But has a bit more body if you ask me.

The only ones I've been able to find, besides the B Nektar ones are awful, sweet or dessert meads. Chaucer's comes to mind but I've bought 3 or 4 terrible syrupy meads before making my own. Not cheap either.

Does the KC in your moniker mean you're in Kansas City?

I found this mention of meads in Present Magazine.

Unfortunately, there are very few commercial examples of mead (and its kin) available to us here in the Kansas City area. Redstone Meadery out of Colorado started distributing to Missouri in 2009 and Pirtle, out of Weston, makes a few fruit wines and meads. Chaucer mead is probably the most widely available, but it is not a good example of what mead can be and I recommend trying others before buying it.

I forgot about Redstone.

I am From Kansas city but currently living in slc. I will check the liquor store later today...maybe there will be some since we are so close to Colorado. I am very curious what it tastes like and have given some thought to making a batch.

I'm working on a bottle of Redstone Mead at the moment. It is quite good and they are so far the only commercial meadery that ships to Texas, so I'd imagine you could order it from just about anywhere.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks much. I will definitely check it out. Weird I'd never seen them in the liquor stores. Oh well, guess I'll have to take a trip to the Woodman's liquor store...damn:rockin:

From my adventures that's the only location they distribute to in Madison. If you want to make a tiny trip. Come out to Black Earth. They have a liquor store called "Vintage Liquors" right next to BP on HWY 14. They one of their drinks called Kinky Blues https://www.whitewinterwinery.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Kinky-Blues It's not a mead but it's quite good. Blueberry beverage.

For everyone else that is outside of Wisconsin they can ship! Here are the states they ship to.

https://www.whitewinterwinery.com
White Winter Winery ships to the following states directly; WISCONSIN, ILLINOIS, IOWA, COLORADO, WASHINGTON AND MINNESOTA. NOTE, We collect sales taxes for WISCONSIN, 5.5% and ILLINOIS 6.25%.
We partner with Vinoshipper to ship legally to these states; ALASKA, CALIFORNIA, FLORIDA, IDAHO, LOUISIANA, MISSOURI, NEBRASKA, NEVADA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW MEXICO, NORTH DAKOTA, OHIO, OREGON, VIRGINIA, WASHINGTON D.C., WEST VIRGINIA, AND WYOMING. You can place your order on our website or at Vinoshipper.com.

My local shop in Baltimore carries a few brands of mead. It carries a great deal of microbrews and imports, so it only makes sense that mead would be available as well.

From my adventures that's the only location they distribute to in Madison. If you want to make a tiny trip. Come out to Black Earth. They have a liquor store called "Vintage Liquors" right next to BP on HWY 14. They one of their drinks called Kinky Blues https://www.whitewinterwinery.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Kinky-Blues It's not a mead but it's quite good. Blueberry beverage.

For everyone else that is outside of Wisconsin they can ship! Here are the states they ship to.

https://www.whitewinterwinery.com
White Winter Winery ships to the following states directly; WISCONSIN, ILLINOIS, IOWA, COLORADO, WASHINGTON AND MINNESOTA. NOTE, We collect sales taxes for WISCONSIN, 5.5% and ILLINOIS 6.25%.
We partner with Vinoshipper to ship legally to these states; ALASKA, CALIFORNIA, FLORIDA, IDAHO, LOUISIANA, MISSOURI, NEBRASKA, NEVADA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW MEXICO, NORTH DAKOTA, OHIO, OREGON, VIRGINIA, WASHINGTON D.C., WEST VIRGINIA, AND WYOMING. You can place your order on our website or at Vinoshipper.com.

I actually saw on their website they do distribute to the liquor store that I always go to. I guess I wasn't looking hard enough.

I actually saw on their website they do distribute to the liquor store that I always go to. I guess I wasn't looking hard enough.

Holy crap yeah it must be hidden. I just looked at that list too. I go to Steve's once in a while. Never see it there.

This is one reason why living in KY sucks. None of the "good" meaderies are allowed to ship here. Stupid dumb laws and ****.

Up here in Maine, there's a few places that sell Mead. There's a craft brew shop in Wells that has several, and a country store in Kittery that has Mane Meadmakers, and the NH Liquor Store has Chaucer's (but only Chaucers).

there is a huge selection here in portland. prolly about 40 bottles of different types at just one store i visit. hopefully there is something close by you!

Here in Sacramento we have Bevmo and they carry Chaucers. We also have Total Wine that came in just in the last year or two, and that place is like the holy grail of liquor stores. I would live there if I could. lol They carry 4 or 5 brands of mead, as well as some different melomels.

One thing I cannot find to save my life though is a bottle of bochet mead. I can't even find one online that I can ship. Guess I'll have to wait another year or two before I can dip into my batch.

Latest posts

Back