Caramelized Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just had the idea of caramelizing my honey before making mead, in order to give it some nutty/toasty notes. Anyone know of any obvious cons to this method, before I try it?

Do a search for "Bochet" ... there are a few threads showing different levels of caramelized honey.

Some people take it to a burnt level, others simply brown it a bit. It is supposed to give a more marshmallowy flavor to the honey.

I have a 5 gallon batch that is aging - I think I might have taken it a little far on the burnt side. I'd prefer, in retrospect, for a nice caramel color without going towards black.

Also, be forewarned that it can be obnoxious to heat up. It bubbles very high. In a 5 gallon pot, I could only keep it about 1/3 full before I started heating it ... it bubbles up a lot. Oh, and bees are attracted to boiling honey.

Thanks! I was just doing a little research and found this Bochet recipe. I think I'd also rather go for a golden brown or dark brown color. I'm tossing around the idea of making beer clones using honey instead of malt. This technique will definitely come in handy.

Back