Krausen and high temps!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablo

Reaction score
Arrived home today to this. Normally temperature control isn't a problem here.....one advantage of our crappy climate, but it's warm today. The stick thermometer is reading 75-77 which is too warm for Nottingham yeast. It has been fermenting for a little over 24 hours. Do you think the damage is done in terms of off-flavours ? I have added a DIY blow off tube, transferred it to the bath and am going to throw in some frozen bottles of water to the bath water.

3651941396_5f43574ea5.jpg

3651946424_9b5730a8cc.jpg

The damage will most likely be done early in the fermentation process as that is when the yeast does most of it's work. That being said, I would also like to tell you that I have a blond that I use Nottingham on and TRY to hit a 75F temp. In some beers that little off flavor may make it. Don't worry, Relax, Have a Home brew. No matter the outcome it will still be drinkable. If you drop the temps now there will be no ill effects of doing so and will help to stop further off flavors from coming through.

+1 for RDWHAHB and getting that temp down

Also, you may want to let it sit for a while longer in the primary and let the yeast do a good long clean up of any of the off flavors.

Latest posts

Back