Stalled Fermentation- Cooper's Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird77

Reaction score
Recently brewed a Brewer's Best Irish Stout + 1/2 lb coarse ground espresso at flameout. OG 1.053. Pitched 15g Cooper's Ale Yeast (without rehydrating) which was included in the kit. Fermentation took off within 12 hours. Floor temp was about 64 and wort was about 67/8 (if I remember correctly).

I brew about an hour away from where I live, so I waited check on it for 3 weeks. I figured this way I could "be sure" fermentation was done when I went to bottle. 3 weeks after pitching, SG was only down to 1.032. Temp in the basement had dropped to about 60, and the wort was down to about 62. Apparently, Cooper's is more tolerant to heat rather than cool ferm temps. I moved it upstairs, where ambient temps hover between 65 and 68. Haven't seen it since, this Friday will be 5 weeks in the primary.

I am concerned about how long this batch has been sitting on the yeast. If I check on it this weekend, and decide to re-pitch (if it hasn't finished) should I transfer the wort to another bucket? Would adding a little dextrose help the new yeast take off so that they can finish off the beer? I am not worried about a few extra points of ABV. :drunk:

Also, should I pitch the same yeast or find something different (better?). I want to stick with dry yeast.

EDIT: Typo in original post, I pitched 15g of Cooper's, not 5.

Well it looks like I'll be re-pitching for sure if the gravity still has not come down, but my main question is should I rack it to another bucket or just leave it in the same primary. Also, what yeasts would everyone recommend? I'd guess Nottingham would work well since it seems to be a hearty, neutral flavor yeast. I have not ever used it, just going off what I have read.

IMO Coopers is the "Walmart" brand of ale yeast, and others have had similar problems with it. I'd say leave it in the bucket it is in, rouse the Coopers, and pitch some US-05 or some Notty.

Back