Which Corker / Capper Recommend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For a capper, a Wing capper is cheap, but not usually recommended. I have an OLD bench capper that works a treat!

I don't have any experience with corks, yet. I'll probably only do a few corks at a time, so the cheaper the better.

I have heard the floor corkers are better and easier to use. I am planning on buying a Portuguese Floor Corker which I have seen get decent reviews on its ease of use and durability. Its about half the price of the Italian one and can use 750 ml or 1.5 liter wine bottles.

You can find them here or google:

NORTHERN BREWER: Wine Bottling Supplies

I have and use the Colonna Capper-Corker.
Pros: You can do everything from champagne bottles to beer bottles and cork wine, easily.
Cons: I lost the damn adjustable plate...

Either/Or: Seems to leave a divet on the corks but it's only cosmetic.

I have heard the floor corkers are better and easier to use. I am planning on buying a Portuguese Floor Corker which I have seen get decent reviews on its ease of use and durability. Its about half the price of the Italian one and can use 750 ml or 1.5 liter wine bottles.

i started with making wine and mead and more recently, beer. my first was a hand capper and hand corker. i quickly upgraded to a portuguese floor corker. i only used my two handled hand capper for occasional taster bottles. a friend borrowed that capper and cracked two bottles on his first batch. ali never broke any, but it ways felt like i was about to. when i started brewing i got an italian floor corker. it handles champagne corks(or belgians) and i got the optional crown capper attachment and sold the old stuff. it handles all sizes of bottles except very short ones with no adjustment necessary. (a block of 2 x 4 takes care of them).
it was a bit more $$, but over the 3 years or so i've had it, i haven't had any regrets.

(shouldn't this topic be in the equipment category?)

I borrow a friends two-lever corker. I've never used a floor corker, I'm sure they'd be easier. I only do a few batches of wine a year so I don't see the need to give a lot of space to a floor corker when the hand corker works fine and is much easier to store.

Latest posts

Back