1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mixed up 3 batches tonight. A 3 gallon batch of blueberry wine, the first accidental batch came out so well I thought I should make enough that I will actually let some age. :) A 1 gallon of cranberry wine. Plus a 1 gallon of whatever it is you get when you ferment real maple syrup.

I finally have a couple days off and it was time to scratch the brewing itch. :mug:

How much did all the syrup cost you? I was taking about something similar the other at work but it seemed like it would be pretty expensive. Only doing a gallon gives you the option to do stuff like that so maybe I will try it eventually

I just bottled my first AG, one gallon hefewiezen.

It's a pretty special one, as all the grains were homegrown and home malted, and the hops are from my backyard, too.

Wouldn't have had the guts to try a small, AG batch if not for this thread. Thanks everyone!

that, right there, is some hard core D.I.Y... growing your own grains and hops.

i'm impressed

Wow, last nights batches are already bubbling away. Keeping that pipeline going!

image-404846629.jpg

I brought some bottles of my IIPA over to my family yesterday.. 8.5% ABV, 175 IBUs, 2.5 oz hops. Only three and a half weeks old. I don't drink beer, as my signature says (I know, I know) but like home brewing so I wanted some craft beer (basically DFH and Sierra Nevada) drinkers to try it.

They said it was so fruity and floral.. "it's like fermented fruit".. :wacko: hahaha one of the funniest responses I've heard

that fruity taste could also be the result of fermenting too warm... not just the result of all the hops

unless you taste it yourself, you will never know the difference

Hi everyone. This is my first time replying to this thread but I've been following it for about a month and a half now. I just brewed my first 1 gallon batch and it was NB white house honey ale. It was also my first real batch other than 2 mrb batches. Just put it into the primary. Cant wait to try it.

very cool... i've had my eye on doing a honey porter... let us know how it does

also... don't forget to put your blow-off tube in your carboy

I do have a few questions. Do you use starsan and how much do you use for a gallon of it. I know you use a 1/4 ounce for 1.25 gallons and how long will it last in a sealed jug?

i use a half ounce for 2 gallons... i make up a batch at the beginning of brewday... whatever i don't use, i put in a jug, or spray bottle (or use in the jar of my blow-off tube)

i tend to use it up, for one thing or another, each week or so

btw... it's good for other things besides brewing... we also use it for cleaning up dishes, and cleaning utensils after prepping chicken, etc.

biggdaddymatt said:
I do have a few questions. Do you use starsan and how much do you use for a gallon of it. I know you use a 1/4 ounce for 1.25 gallons and how long will it last in a sealed jug?

For a very long time. Like 6 months. Even if it gets cloudy it's still good.

dadshomebrewing said:
that fruity taste could also be the result of fermenting too warm... not just the result of all the hops

unless you taste it yourself, you will never know the difference

Fermented with US-05 at 61 F... Doubt that's the problem. I used Summit, Cascade, and Southern Cross, which could really attribute that flavor
I don't think it was necessarily a bad thing, just a mix of hot alcohol and tons of hop flavor

How much did all the syrup cost you? I was taking about something similar the other at work but it seemed like it would be pretty expensive. Only doing a gallon gives you the option to do stuff like that so maybe I will try it eventually
I got a 32 oz bottle of real maple syrup from Sam's Club. I can't find the receipt, but I remember thinking that is wasn't cheap...

That bottle plus about a 1/2 cup sugar and water is what the base is. OG 1.102. I wanted a full gallon, so I stretched the syrup a little with the sugar. Since the mix is nutrient poor I double dosed yeast nutrient and yeast energizer.

Yet another experimental batch. Another reason to love 1 gallon brewing.

bellmtbbq said:
I brought some bottles of my IIPA over to my family yesterday.. 8.5% ABV, 175 IBUs, 2.5 oz hops. Only three and a half weeks old. I don't drink beer, as my signature says (I know, I know) but like home brewing so I wanted some craft beer (basically DFH and Sierra Nevada) drinkers to try it.

They said it was so fruity and floral.. "it's like fermented fruit".. :wacko: hahaha one of the funniest responses I've heard

bellmtbbq said:
Fermented with US-05 at 61 F... Doubt that's the problem. I used Summit, Cascade, and Southern Cross, which could really attribute that flavor
I don't think it was necessarily a bad thing, just a mix of hot alcohol and tons of hop flavor

Dads, I think you're on to something here. First, 2.5 oz of hops in a DIPA is nothing... seriously. That's not a lot of hops at all to be that fruity, especially those.. I have an all citra hop 5 gallon batch I run all the time and its got 1.5 oz magnum and 4 oz citra and it tastes like passion fruit melon etc but not HOT alcoholic like you mention above. That sounds like a high fermentation temp. Are you sure something didn't go higher during fermentation? Just sayin!

I'm so stoked. I just ordered a 44 bottle wine rack, 24 750ml claret bottles, 72 12oz beer bottles, corks, a corker, and a handful of other random stuff.

I am sick of bottling good brew in plastic, or even glass screw top bottles.

Hello all,

I'm new to brewing and have been following your thread for a few days. I started with a 1 gallon Brooklyn brewery kit (bourbon Belgian dubbel). I learned a lot on my first try.. and the beer didn't turn out as I expected. It was very boozy and the taste was watered down. I had to add a lot of water to make up for what I lost during the boil.

I just brewed a coconut milk porter last week using a porter kit from my LHBS. I didn't have to add any water - I had way more than a gallon. Lets see if it turns out better than my first brew.

Hello all,

I'm new to brewing and have been following your thread for a few days. I started with a 1 gallon Brooklyn brewery kit (bourbon Belgian dubbel). I learned a lot on my first try.. and the beer didn't turn out as I expected. It was very boozy and the taste was watered down. I had to add a lot of water to make up for what I lost during the boil.

I just brewed a coconut milk porter last week using a porter kit from my LHBS. I didn't have to add any water - I had way more than a gallon. Lets see if it turns out better than my first brew.
Welcome welcome. The boozy is normally from young beer. And the watery could be from low mash temps.

Brewed my first "one gallon" batches yesterday...actually a lot of fun and quite a bit different than the 5 gallon batches. My first time doing BIAB too. It's nice to be able to work in the kitchen instead of the garage on a cold day.

Ended up brewing a total of 3 gallons of "jalapeno cream ale" recipe from this site and put into three one gallon carboys. Going to kick up the spice in one of the gallons with Serrano peppers when I move to secondary. Testing habanero in the third. It may be too much, but it's only a gallon.

Overall, I see myself doing a lot more of these one gallon batches, especially for the more intensely flavored beers. I'm glad this thread is here.

Cheers...

twalte said:
Brewed my first "one gallon" batches yesterday...actually a lot of fun and quite a bit different than the 5 gallon batches. My first time doing BIAB too. It's nice to be able to work in the kitchen instead of the garage on a cold day.

Ended up brewing a total of 3 gallons of "jalapeno cream ale" recipe from this site and put into three one gallon carboys. Going to kick up the spice in one of the gallons with Serrano peppers when I move to secondary. Testing habanero in the third. It may be too much, but it's only a gallon.

Overall, I see myself doing a lot more of these one gallon batches, especially for the more intensely flavored beers. I'm glad this thread is here.

Cheers...

Welcome twalt, love habanero!

My English Mild of sorts, no hops in the boil, just whirlpool for ~5 IBUs using EKG. 1.030 SGish. Nice session ale, sparkling clear in bottle but kicked up trub with aggressive pour

Got a pair of 10 oz pilsner glasses at Kohls today for 5 bucks after a coupon. They're nice and dishwasher safe

image-3752751350.jpg

image-3642055572.jpg

bellmtbbq said:
My English Mild of sorts, no hops in the boil, just whirlpool for ~5 IBUs using EKG. 1.030 SGish. Nice session ale, sparkling clear in bottle but kicked up trub with aggressive pour

Got a pair of 10 oz pilsner glasses at Kohls today for 5 bucks after a coupon. They're nice and dishwasher safe

That's really not enough IBU to be considered an English mild. Not sure what that would be.

Was at Sams' for something else today, the syrup is like 13.86 for the 32 oz container.

Happy New Year 1 Gallon Brewers. I haven't been around since Iowa is actually having a Winter, I've been ice fishing. Nothing like a homebrew while you're out on a frozen lake. Keep on brewing....

divrguy said:
That's really not enough IBU to be considered an English mild. Not sure what that would be.

I mean, yes, but it was very British by origin. MO and Biscuit malt, 2/3 oz EKG at end of boil

JollyIsTheRoger said:
Mashing a brown ale right now and thawing a bunch of berries for the secondary of my triple berry cyser.

That reminds me I need to do a brown ale. I ran that out of my pipeline. So, whats a cyser?

Latest posts

Back