Priming a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Half the amount of sugar you used to use when bottling, boil in water, add to sanitized keg, fill keg with beer, hit it with CO2, purge oxygen out, let sit for 3 weeks at temps above 70.

MyNameIsPaul said:
Half the amount of sugar you used to use when bottling, boil in water, add to sanitized keg, fill keg with beer, hit it with CO2, purge oxygen out, let sit for 3 weeks at temps above 70.

Why use half the normal amount of sugar? That seems like it would result in undercarbed beer.

Is the search button broken today guys?

Quoting Yooper from one of dozens of threads on this matter:

Well, you use less priming sugar in a keg due to the smaller amount of headspace. In bottling, if you have 53 bottles of a 1.5 inch headspace, that's a lot more than you have in a keg relatively speaking. In your example, a 1/2 filled bottle with MORE headspace will more likely be overcarbed than one with a proper amount of headspace.

As long as it stays carbonated, and avoids extreme temperature swings, theoretically, it'll last forever. It'll age some and mellow out a bit, which in most cases is a good thing for bigger style beers. No one knows for sure since the idea is to drink it, not store it =)

MyNameIsPaul said:
Is the search button broken today guys?

Quoting Yooper from one of dozens of threads on this matter:

Well, you use less priming sugar in a keg due to the smaller amount of headspace. In bottling, if you have 53 bottles of a 1.5 inch headspace, that's a lot more than you have in a keg relatively speaking. In your example, a 1/2 filled bottle with MORE headspace will more likely be overcarbed than one with a proper amount of headspace.

No the search is not broken that I'm aware of but it doesn't work all that well on my phone and I figured others might have the same question and could the answer on on this post without a seek and find.

Latest posts

Back