Barleywine Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewhog

Reaction score
I brewed an American version about two weeks ago. I plan on taking a hydrometer reading tomorrow. Should I allow it to sit in the primary another week or two or should I transfer it to the secondary now since it has been about 2 weeks. My OG was about 1.122 and i pitched a 2liter starter made with 2 vials (no stirplate)

Thats a big beer, Its my favorite to brew. Yes go to secondary. Usually once fermenation has slowed I gently swirl my carboy, to get some yeast back into suspension. then let it go another week or two then go to secondary. If you have not swirled it by now dont, two weeks should be enough unless you fermented colder than 65F.
I like to ferment them at 68F. What yeast did you use, californa ale?
What temp are you fermenting at? A big beer like that generates some heat when fermenting.
Good luck!

I used the california ale yeast. I was caught off guard with the heat so maintaining temps between 67-70 has been a challenge. I began to swirl the carboy once i noticed things slowed down. I do it every morning and when i get home from work if i remember to. I look forward to the aroma when i do. Thanks for the input.

How many ibu's did you shoot for. I really like to make barley wines I enjoy learning what other people do. I usually try on a 1.090 to get 100 ~ 110 Ibu's,. I always throw on a yeast cake and aerate well, with Servomyces....Its very expensive its suppose to be good stuff, I'm not sure if I have noticed a differance using super ferment, versus Servomyces.

In the past I was really not able to maintain a good temp on my ferment with a water/Ice bath.....So I got a fermentation freezer with a controller. I keep the temp about 65 and after a few days warm up to 68. When I secondary, I go to keg, pop on some pressure then every few days relieve some pressure. At the phase of fermentation you dont really risk overpressuring your keg, and they will hold a ton of pressure. I find that the beers just age better in bulk in the keg. I have aged barley wines at room temp 70 ~ 76 and also in the fermentation frige and they are both great. Good luck!

If the gravity is below 1.040, I'd rack and add a finishing yeast. Most white wine yeasts (including champaign) are good for drying out a barleywine. If you have kegs, going straight to the keg is a good move. No light, no air, no break. Should be ready for the Fall holidays.

Latest posts

Back