Butterscotch Ale Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andoniu83

Reaction score
Hey everyone:

Looking to create a Butterscotch Ale, but have no idea on what hops to use, any recommendations?

Was thinking 1 oz. Hersbrucker (60 min), anyone have other ideas?

I want the beer to be light, ensuring the butterscotch stands out, but not overpowering.

Thanks for any advice

I'm in the same boat. My next brew will be either a butterscotch or butter rum ale. I haven't settled on a recipe, but I know I will be throwing an extract of one of those flavors in the bottling bucket. I would be interested in seeing your recipe.

I make an oatmeal stout to which I add an ounce of McCormick coconut extract to the bottling bucket. There would be at least two of these in my desert island 6-pack.

My initial recipe is as follows for an 100% extract:

0.5 lb Briess Caramel 20L
6.3 lb Gold Malt Syrup
1lb Briess Golden Light DME
Werthers Butterscotch Candy (will make simple sugar from this)

1.0 oz Cascade Hops (60 min)

1056 American Ale Yeast

Critique the recipe as much as you want or if you think something else would make it better, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry, typed that incorrectly, will be 1.0 oz. of Golding or Fuggle or possibly a split of 0.5 Golding and 0.5 Fuggle at 60 min

Definitely post how this turns out. I'm very interested in your Werther's procedure for future use. I believe your hops choices are right on.
I'm still thinking about my grain bill, but I have time, because my fermenters are currently occupied. Probably 3.3 lbs. Extra Light DME, some Maris Otter and some Crystal 10. I expect to use S-04 or Nottingham. I'm looking for a very light colored, (not flavored) clear beer and to save a buck or two on yeast.

Just a quick update, looking at brewing the beer within the next week or so, I am in the same boat as you and all my fermenters are currently taken up at this time. I will definitely keep you posted on how everything turns out.

Change in plans. I need to have this thing ready to drink for a party on June 9, so I'm brewing tonight. My favorite LHBS was closed today, so I went to a different store that only carries the basics. There will be no grain in this one. It will be:

4 lbs. Light DME

3.3 lbs. Light LME

.5 oz. Fuggles @ 60 min.

.5 oz. Fuggles @ 30 min.

Nottingham

I didn't order yet, but I expect to get butterscotch extract from spicebarn and add it at bottling.

I was thinking of brewing one and shooting for a little Diacetyl intentionally, either cold crashing or gelatin fining it out, backsweeten & keg. I was thinking Saaz and a hint of Crystal 60 to round it out.

I was thinking of brewing one and shooting for a little Diacetyl intentionally, either cold crashing or gelatin fining it out, backsweeten & keg. I was thinking Saaz and a hint of Crystal 60 to round it out.

saaz seems a bit earthy to me, but that's just personal opinion. maybe doing 30-45 minute boil. crystal-60 should go very nicely :) and i like the idea of intentional diacetyl

A little but it's also got a bit of a tastebud zing to it that I was hoping might help mimic the candies plus I wasn't going to go very heavy with it. The only other options I could think of that might be similar are either too fragrant or citrusy which I would think would overpower the butterscotch notes. Plus I haven't found a good hop that has a burnt sugar smell to it. :) Maybe my Vojvodina as I've not gotten output from them yet but who knows.

Bottled today. It weighed in at 5.6%. I used about 1 oz. of butterscotch flavoring from spicebarn. I wanted more than just a hint of smell/taste and I got what I wished for. I sampled the last little bit at the bottom of the bucket and I must say I like it. Can't wait for it to carbonate.

Back