Add sulfites after racking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrybrewer

Reaction score
Did a batch of Pinot Noir this year. At crush time (10/21/2010) I added sulfites up to 60 ppm. I have not added any sulfites since then. Primary fermentation went perfect. Malo fermentation is about done. I am ready to rack again. I am wondering if other people add sulfites (campden tablets) at this point?

Also, when would you bottle, and how much sulfites would you add at that point?

Did a batch of Pinot Noir this year. At crush time (10/21/2010) I added sulfites up to 60 ppm. I have not added any sulfites since then. Primary fermentation went perfect. Malo fermentation is about done. I am ready to rack again. I am wondering if other people add sulfites (campden tablets) at this point?

You don't want to add sulfites until MLF is done- they are incompatible with each other. After MLF is over, then sulfites are added at the racking. You want to keep the wine at 50 ppm after MLF is over.

Why do you want to rack again?
Have you considered wood?

According to a few books I have read, it is about time to rack again because the Malo fermentation is winding down if not over.

I have considered oak chips. Barrels are not an option right now. I will taste it to determine if I think any oaking is necessary.

After your primary ferment was over you racked all of the heavy lees should be discarded. By chance did you smell them or detect any off flavours. If you did I would recommend you go with the second racking if not I would stay on those lees to improve mouthfeel, complexity, and decrease movements with a delicate wine.

Staves give a richer flavour profile than chips and are easier to deal with as well. If you have multiple carboys or demijohns then a program could be set up where a fraction of them get oaked or oaked heavily and others dont -- giving you more flexibility and options (ie blending) for the finished wine.

I am curious as to the particulars on the grapes you started with in terms of condition (if the grapes werent in the best condition I would recommend the second racking), pH, Brix, TA. If you have them?

Latest posts

Back