US Gallons or UK Gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emoutal

Reaction score
Just a quick question, I understand that a standard batch is 5 gallons, but I'm not sure if that is US or UK gallons. That is, roughly 19 liters or 23 liters?

Depends on where you are getting the info from but on here and I would venture to say 99% of American magazines it would be US gallons.

It depends where the recipe is from.

All mine and most UK recipes will be 23l

Must US are 19l

Most of the brewers on here will be looking at 19l - 5g

Most US recipes are going to be in US gallons. Some of our Canadian and British members post recipes using imperial gallons or litres. Your choice, recipes can be built to either measurement using brewing software.

Most of the developed world do!
It's been a while since we argued about the superior system :D ;)
Just leave my pint alone. (And it is the superior bigger pint at that)

Let's fight then. Remember who won the last time Britain and the US got into a spat? :D

I hate the metric system, because I work with hand tools alot. I can look at a nut or bolt, and usually tell that it is for example a 1/2". I can't look at it and say that is a 12mm bolt. I'm sure I could, with practice but why learn something new. If we switch to the metric system it's just one more step toward total world assimilation. :D

Most of the developed world do!
It's been a while since we argued about the superior system :D ;)
Just leave my pint alone. (And it is the superior bigger pint at that)
I don't mean it really.
Canada is on the metric boat (with the exception of the building industry) so you won't get any arguments from me! And I'm with you on the pint, I don't like the little US ones, all my pint glasses are real ones. :D

Read the instructions.

Like for example if you look on the label of a Munton's canned kit it will say 19l or 23l, same for a Cooper's kit. For anything else that doesn't come with specific instructions you can use something like ProMash put the ingredients in and check it out.

A lot of times if I'm making a batch I will start with 19l, then when the wort is cool before I pitch I will get the hydrometer and check the gravity and then decide if I want to go ahead and go with 23l or not.

Thats what I do when I make extract kits or canned kits because the fermenter I use for those kinds of beers has metric and gallon measurements. Usually if I make All Grain batches then I ferment in one of my brew buckets and they only have gallon measurements, and I've never bothered to check if its 5 gallons as in 19l or 23l - again I just check the gravity, if it doesn't seem quite right some cool water never seems to hurt anything.

I would guess that its probably 5 gallons as in 19l not as in 23l though, just because when I check my gravity its nearly always higher than I expected - four liters difference of water could probably explain it. But like I was saying thats just a guess.

Back