NHC competition 2012

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFinstad

Reaction score
FedEx just notified me that my yeast samples were delivered in Minneapolis! Hopefully they're still in one piece and being coddled by the folks at northern brewer.

This being my first nhc, I'm curious to hear what other people entered. Anyone have any hopefuls? I sent my English ipa, American ipa, Scottish wee heavy, saison, imperial stout and a cider. I don't expect much, but hopefully I can get some decent feedback from the judges.

Just dropped mine off. Lucky that the judging site is close this year. With Keystone Homebrew being the host and all the support in the Philly area, we won't be having the nightmare like last year in Saratoga.

I’ll have to put a curse on your English IPA since that’s one of mine also. :cross:

Just kidding. Good luck at your first NHC. From past experience, you’ll get some of the best feedback from this competition.

FedEx just notified me that my yeast samples were delivered in Minneapolis! Hopefully they're still in one piece and being coddled by the folks at northern brewer.

This being my first nhc, I'm curious to hear what other people entered. Anyone have any hopefuls? I sent my English ipa, American ipa, Scottish wee heavy, saison, imperial stout and a cider. I don't expect much, but hopefully I can get some decent feedback from the judges.

Just curious since you entered 6 beers why you don't expect much? Have you entered other BJCP contests? If so how did you do?

Nice mix of entries. All all grain?

I had mine dropped off at Keystone HBS on Monday. My brew was a slight disappointment at bottling because of the sweetness, maybe it will mellow out (a little?) by judging time.

Sorry for the belated reply. I didn't place in anything, but I really appreciated the feedback. This is only my second competition but it was much better than the first (despite the fact I placed 1st in the last one). This time they actually filled out the whole sheet!

I scored a 39 with Jamil's Scottish wee heavy recipe and my american IPA scored a 36. Both of those made a mini best of show round.

I was hoping my Russian imperial stout would do better than a 32, but it might just be too young. I'll try entering it again next year. To my taste buds it was a close replica of deschutes's abyss, which is listed as a classic example of the style. Maybe they don't get that out there in the Midwest?

All around it was a good experience and I'm definitely coming back for next year. And yes, everything was all grain all the way except for my entry in cider ;-) nothing but raw apples and a wild ass fermentation there.

Back