Love TSS2 hack for external SSR?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tullamoremike

Reaction score
Would it be possible to hack a Love TSS2 (or any other model for that matter) to control an external SSR? I've been wanting to use one to control a 2k watt heating element in my HLT but that little 16A relay's not going to cut it. It seems like it would be as simple as rerouting the signal from the Love to an external relay, but I'm guessing it's more complicated than that. Any ideas?

...also, I bought one of those cheap temp controllers from ebay, but I ended up getting the 220v model by accident (ebaying and drinking, dangerous combination!). If I was to supply the unit with 220v, could I just supply the relays with 110v? I know SSR's don't give a rats butt what voltage they get (to a point) but again, I have no clue what type of relays these things use.

Thanks guys!

Would it be possible to hack a Love TSS2 (or any other model for that matter) to control an external SSR? I've been wanting to use one to control a 2k watt heating element in my HLT but that little 16A relay's not going to cut it. It seems like it would be as simple as rerouting the signal from the Love to an external relay, but I'm guessing it's more complicated than that. Any ideas?

I don't know much about Love controllers, but you should be able to find SSRs that are activated by many different control signals. I use ones that are triggered by low voltage DC signal, but I've seen some that use a higher voltage AC signal, too.

...also, I bought one of those cheap temp controllers from ebay, but I ended up getting the 220v model by accident (ebaying and drinking, dangerous combination!). If I was to supply the unit with 220v, could I just supply the relays with 110v? I know SSR's don't give a rats butt what voltage they get (to a point) but again, I have no clue what type of relays these things use.

Yes. the relays on that thing are completely independent of the power source for the controller itself. You can provide 220V to the controller to power it up and then just pass 110VAC through the relay... or pass 9VDC if you want... doesn't matter. Just don't exceed 220V/10A on the relay and you are good.

Awesome, Thanks Walker! Glad to know I can use this controller. They're a steal if you already have a step-up xformer, $17 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370478290421&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'll just use it on the non-ferment beer fridge until it's proven it can hold a temp.

As far as the Love, I can't figure out what kind of signals the relays use. In looking at similar relays (16A 120V SPDT) spec sheets there are no signal specs. Most have a coil voltage spec of 120v; since the coil does the switching I assume this would be the required "signal" voltage? If I wasn't such a weenie I'd just rip open the Love and find out, but I'm afraid of breaking something :cross:

Latest posts

Back