Netflix Instant: Beer movies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onipar

Reaction score
Hey all. I was just going through some Netflix stuff and noticed a few documentaries that might be of interest. I should start off by saying I haven't watched any of these yet, and so I'm not necessarily recommending them. Rather, just bringing them to your discerning attention.

Empires of Industry: Brewed in America. Some of the reviews are low and say it plays out as almost a beer commercial for the large beer breweries. I'll probably give it a shot anyway.

Beer Wars. This one has a bit more potential. I believe they go to smaller breweries to see what they have to do to compete with the big corporations.

Blood Into Wine. This one, as you probably figured out, is more about wine. My personal interest in it has more to do with Maynard James Keenan (lead singer of Tool) who this documentary is about. "This perceptive documentary tells the unusual tale of Maynard James Keenan, the hard-rocking, eccentric front man of Tool, A Perfect Circle and Puscifer who abruptly left Los Angeles in the mid-1990s to start a world-class vineyard in Arizona."

If you'd like, why not add other beer/wine/cider documentaries/movies to this thread and make something of a go-to list for Netlflix instant viewers.

Enjoy. :mug:

I loved Beer Wars. As long as you recognize that obviously it's an anti-BMC propaganda film (which for the record, I am fine with that), it's quite good.

I enjoyed Beer Wars. It is very much anti-BMC propaganda, but its pretty interesting and easily kept my interest.

Didn't find Brew Masters but a documentary called The Historic pubs of Dublin came up as a suggestion, think i'll give it a go.

Schweet, thanks. :ban:

I just watched Blood Into Wine, and it was pretty great. It had a nice comedic side to it too, which was appreciated.

I liked Beer Wars also. Has anybody seen a doc called Beer Ticker(s)? The description says it's about a guy who has tried over 36,000 beers....my new hero.

Blood into Wine sounds very interesting. I'm not a wine person, but the description sounds appealing.

If you like any of the bands Maynard is in, or if you're into off-beat comedy, you should like the doc. They have Tim and Eric (from Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job!) conducting a fake interview that they cut to throughout the doc. Patton Oswalt and Milla Jovovich both show up for small segments. And if you watch through the credits, Bob Odenkirk has a little end sketch which is hilarious.

All in all a well-made documentary that I really enjoyed.

BigBrewHawk, no I haven't seen Beer Ticker. I did watch Beer Wars last night, which was pretty good.

They featured Dogfish Head a lot which was cool, but it was more about the business of beer and how hard it is for the little guys to get market share. Fairly interesting, but probably a bit biased too. Papazian has a couple scenes in it too.

Are their any doc about the history of homebrewing, or the homebrewing in general?

The empires of industry documentary is great. All of those guys that started BMC were all innovators. Might not like their beer today but did incredible things as far as marketing and distribution guys. Its interesting how they mention pasteurization and the bottle cap and how they revolutionized the industry. Great show and worth watching

I didn't like Blood into Wine. It kept switching to corny comedic skits, i.e. a fake tv interview, then to serious documentary material. It just seemed dumb and unnecessary.

I didn't like Blood into Wine. It kept switching to corny comedic skits, i.e. a fake tv interview, then to serious documentary material. It just seemed dumb and unnecessary.

To each his own. I will say this, if you don't like the type of comedy that Tim and Eric, or Bob Odenkirk (Mr. Show) do, you won't find the bits funny. On top of that, if you're not a fan of Maynard, another 50-60% of the documentary will be boring to you.

So yeah, if you're only interest is in wine, I wouldn't recommend this movie. But for fans of Maynard, Tim and Eric, and/or Odenkirk, it's pretty great. An interest in wine/brewing is just icing on the cake. The soundtrack was killer too, not to mention the art direction. Shot beautifully I thought.

Not that into that music, but still interesting to me to see what goes on. I like a lot of different comedy stuff, so that won't detract for me. Just got to remember to load this up and watch it!

One that I liked is on Hulu called Beertickers:Beyond the Ale.
Its British and is quite good.

If you enjoy wine movies as well, you should check out Bottle Shock (it is on instant view). It's about the rise of American wines in the view of the world wine connoisseurs.

I enjoyed Bottle shock. Beer Wars is good too. I''ll checkout Blood into wine and beer tickers. Good post.

I've had bottle shock on my queue for over a year. i had no idea what it's about, maybe give it a watch tonight.

Hey, did you guys see the news about Netflix? I just got an email and they said that they're changing their billing plans. Now they're doing $7.99 for 1 DVD, and $7.99 for unlimited instant movies. If you want to have DVDs and instant movies, you have to pay $15.98. That's a 78% increase over the $8.99 I was paying last year and a 60% increase over the current price, without offering any new services or features to justify the price hike! It's not even about the price for me; it's the principal of the action. It's just so "MBA grad thinks it looks good on paper" and ridiculous. There are just certain things you shouldn't do, that are so obvious, that they are ignored... :drunk:

Hey, did you guys see the news about Netflix? I just got an email and they said that they're changing their billing plans. Now they're doing $7.99 for 1 DVD, and $7.99 for unlimited instant movies. If you want to have DVDs and instant movies, you have to pay $15.98. That's a 78% increase over the $8.99 I was paying last year and a 60% increase over the current price, without offering any new services or features to justify the price hike! It's not even about the price for me; it's the principal of the action. It's just so "MBA grad thinks it looks good on paper" and ridiculous. There are just certain things you shouldn't do, that are so obvious, that they are ignored... :drunk:

Well, it was only a matter of time before they became greedy ********. I hope this opens the door for some competition at least.

I already had stopped getting blu rays because they got greedy. When they first introduced blurays, it was free with the normal subscription. A year later, they added $1. Fine, okay. Then another dollar. Then another dollar. Screw that.

At the very least I'm going to downgrade my subscription. :( If you want *really* greedy, check out what it says on the "change your plan" page:

The price of your Unlimited Streaming + 2 DVDs out at-a-time (Unlimited) plan will change to $19.98 () (plus any applicable tax) a month starting with your next billing period on or after Sep 01, 2011. If you select a new plan in the meantime, you will only be able to return to your current plan at the new price, regardless of when you make the change.

I heard recently that the people who make the movies are going to charge netflix more. I guess Netflix had some pretty good deals with the labels and that is coming to an end because the labels are losing money because of it.

I can't remember all the details, but it seems that the price increase is due to this.

It's still a great deal compared to the old video stores.

yeah, netflix isn't the bad guy here. content providers are terrified of everyone flocking to streaming and want to charge more for everything now. netflix has to pass on the increased costs somehow.

yeah, netflix isn't the bad guy here. content providers are terrified of everyone flocking to streaming and want to charge more for everything now. netflix has to pass on the increased costs somehow.

I can't believe people buy into this. You honestly think Netflix is going broke over this???

Two words: Corporate Fascism.

Ha. SWMBO literally just informed me of this. Means we've gotta start actually watching our DVDs instead of letting them sit around for months while we just stream.

I'd be all for just streaming, except half the stuff I want is DVD only (not so much new as just hard to find stuff)

Ha. SWMBO literally just informed me of this. Means we've gotta start actually watching our DVDs instead of letting them sit around for months while we just stream.

I'd be all for just streaming, except half the stuff I want is DVD only (not so much new as just hard to find stuff)

One possible alternative I'm thinking about is downgrading to only instant streaming, and then just getting dvd's from Redbox when I feel like seeing something new. Probably works out to be the same if I get a lot of movies, but I'll save some bucks if I only rent a few a month.

I can't believe people buy into this. You honestly think Netflix is going broke over this???

Two words: Corporate Fascism.

i'm sure their stockholders would be totally cool with them having to pay boatloads more for content rights while keeping the same prices. makes for a hell of a business model..

Didn't find Brew Masters but a documentary called The Historic pubs of Dublin came up as a suggestion, think i'll give it a go.

It's kind of cool. I watched about half of it and turned it off. I should give it another go. I enjoyed Blood Into Wine though.

Beerfest- one of my favorites! :)

I've been wanting to see Beer Wars, but can't find it anywhere online... (I don't have Netflix)

One possible alternative I'm thinking about is downgrading to only instant streaming, and then just getting dvd's from Redbox when I feel like seeing something new. Probably works out to be the same if I get a lot of movies, but I'll save some bucks if I only rent a few a month.

I'm sure that'll work great for most folks. However, most of the movies I want to see on Netflix are difficult to find almost anywhere, let alone Redbox. And I've found I'm more likely to be able to instant stream any given new movie on Netflix than half the obscure movies I like and have to get on DVD.

I'm sure that'll work great for most folks. However, most of the movies I want to see on Netflix are difficult to find almost anywhere, let alone Redbox. And I've found I'm more likely to be able to instant stream any given new movie on Netflix than half the obscure movies I like and have to get on DVD.

That's a good point. I *do* watch a lot of obscure movies too.

I was just telling a friend last night, as much as a 60% price hike sucks, and as much complaining as a lot of people are going to do, most will probably just stick with them because really, what other service is comparable?

Sure, there's a few other alternatives, but nothing quite like Netflix.

Latest posts

Back