Recipie Help.. What hops to use with this grain bill...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draken

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to hop the second runnings of a partigyle recipe.. If you break it down this is essentially the grain bill for a 2.5 gallon batch:
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
0.31 lbs 6.74 % Briess Carapils 60 mins 1.034
0.23 lbs 5.00 % Briess White Malt Wheat 60 mins 1.039
0.31 lbs 6.74 % Briess Caramel 40L 60 mins 1.034
3.00 lbs 65.22 % Briess 2-Row Pale Ale Malt 60 mins 1.037
0.75 lbs 16.30 % Briess Pilsen DME 60 mins 1.043

I am adding the DME to boost the ABV a point. But how to hop it? I am not even sure where this is going to end up style wise either.

plugging it into beersmith this gives an OG of 1.049. But that value is based off a whole mash and sparge from the grain bill, not the second runnings of what you gave me. I would imagine your second runnings would be at best half that. What abv are you shooting for? Doubling the DME would bump you up to 1.062. What are you shooting for in you hop profile? Half an ounce of cascade at 5.5% AA on a 60 min boil will give you about 17 IBU if you don't add more DME than what is in the profile you posted. Which should be pretty noticeable given how light the beer will be. If you did double the DME addition, you could expect 15 IBU.

Looks almost like a wheat IPA to me. Throw it in some software and see what comes out gravity- and color-wise. Personally, I'd throw some amarillo/cascade/centennial at it and make a wheat IPA.

JoshuaWhite5522 said:
plugging it into beersmith this gives an OG of 1.049. But that value is based off a whole mash and sparge from the grain bill, not the second runnings of what you gave me. I would imagine your second runnings would be at best half that. What abv are you shooting for? Doubling the DME would bump you up to 1.062. What are you shooting for in you hop profile? Half an ounce of cascade at 5.5% AA on a 60 min boil will give you about 17 IBU if you don't add more DME than what is in the profile you posted. Which should be pretty noticeable given how light the beer will be. If you did double the DME addition, you could expect 15 IBU.

I reduced the grain bill to hit the expected OG of the second runnings. This isnt the actual weights if the grain bill, but it is the correct percentages. The only other difference would be that I would expect the color to come in around 4.5.

Back